sheetmetal intake for blower

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
taps
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default sheetmetal intake for blower

looking at a hogans sheetmetal blower intake a guy has for sale,this would be for my 871 blown 509 bbc on gas,my question is is there enough extra hp with it to justify cost?he says on dyno it can be worth as much as 75hp which sounds good.what do you think.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Probably on alcohol, but i doubt it on gas. First most people run all the gas thru the blower, where with alcohol you usually run 40/60, with 60% with down nozzles in the maniflod. I've ran both way and seen no difference on gas, my first blown gas car 1964.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I'm not a big fan of sheet metal intakes for blower motors. We ran one on the Pro-Mod I worked on several years ago.....For one run.............Cost us over $3500 to have made. At 1000 ft. the top plate separated from the plenum under boost and caused the motor to go super lean.............Total cost? $3500 for the blower intake, $7500 for the brand new blower that destroyed itself when it backfired, $9000 for a set of heads (lots of damage that wasn't worth the time or effort to repair), and $1400 for a set of melted pistons............Went to an Indy cast intake after that, problem solved.......................