Race fuel- carb contamination

Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default Race fuel- carb contamination

Running vp 110, last year - vp red 105 - the year before ran purple power - .. The same result , acts like water in carb.. white carp in carb - bowl screws rusty, pull bowl and water drops on the work bench. Car runs good , but weekly have to clean carb.. should I run gas line antifreeze.. any body else . I cant be the only person.. Thanks for any advice ---Eric..
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

theres water in your fuel,where ever your getting it from.

check the fuel tank.drian it,

look in your drum.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

How do you buy your fuel? In sealed cans / drum or from a store that pumps it for you? I buy VP in sealed cans or a sealed drum, but I still run it through 2 filters before it goes in my tank. I've also noticed that when I wash my truck some water will sit on the cap (race tank) and when I open it it goes right in the tank. Only a little water, but ...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

x2 on water

Should buy a outwears filter and see how much water it catches. I would buy it else where.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

X3 water

I'd find another fuel guy, sounds like he's watering down the stuff to make more money.

Cp
Old 07-21-2009, 02:23 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default fuel

I get my fuel in sealed barrels, Pat at pro systems said it is not unheard of for race fuel to attack a carb. He recommends to run the carb dry if not using for a week or more. Just wondering why things are this way, thanks Eric
Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Where do you live? If you live somewhere really humid, you may be getting condensation in the carb, especially if you run it dry, Just a thought.....
Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: fuel

Originally Posted by camarotale
I get my fuel in sealed barrels, Pat at pro systems said it is not unheard of for race fuel to attack a carb. He recommends to run the carb dry if not using for a week or more. Just wondering why things are this way, thanks Eric
Thats BS .. I've ran many different fuels and never had a carb rust up. Rust is from water. I'd switch suppliers or get a tester and see what the stuff really has in it.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Living in a very humid environment and not keeping the tank full or empty with the cap off, will allow condensation to build up and dilute your fuel.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Bottom line is start from scratch. Drain everything, pull bowls off carb, and clean everything then clean everything again!! drain your fuel lines and pump some GOOD gas through 'em until you know all water is gone. Check your fuel by putting some of it in a sealed milk bottle (or better yet a glass jar if you can) for a day or so. Water and fuel will seperate. I know fuel will condensate, I live in Augusta, Ga. nowhere worse than Ga. in the summer, but it should not condensate to the point he's having and it should burn that little bit and not be noticed or only a stumble at the most. However, always drain your tank and put it back in a sealed container until the next race. I treat my fuel like it's radioactive! Very carefull! I want pour it if it's windy because of dust. On race day I put it in 1 gallon jugs and keep it in a cooler. I fill my tank 30- 45 mins before I make a pass. And always keep your tank covered when the sun is out!! You'd be supprised how hot the inside of those little (expecially the black ones) tanks get! Hot fuel and your giving away horse power. :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -