Engine numbers

Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
joeree
SHOW GUEST

Default Engine numbers

When I bought my ride a couple of years ago, I was told it has a 502 crate engine. I have pulled the motor out and am going to be upgrading it but I want to be sure I know what I have and I need some help. The heads are cast and stamped with 14097088. I believe they are GM as it is stamped in another spot. The numbers I found on the rear of the block are 10237300. Can anyone tell me what I have for sure? I will probably be selling some things off it and don't want to decieve anyone. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

heres some info I found, heads:
NEW G.M. #14097088 454-502 Cast Iron Big Block Chevy, Rectangular port, Choice of 2.19 x 1.88 or 2.250X1.88 Stainless Valves, 118cc Open Chamber Design, .550” Lift Springs, Rectangular Intake Port Design, Can Be Used on Early , Gen V, and Gen VI Design Blocks, Machined For Screw In Studs & Guide Plates, Include Hard Exhaust Seats

block:
This Gen VI cast iron block is a strong foundation for a big-block engine project. The "short-deck" block was designed to meet the needs of a powerful and dependable 500cid engine for street or boat usage. The block's cylinder walls are "siamesed" and are bored to 4.47". The deck surfaces are reinforced to improve the head gasket sealing. Four-bolt main bearing caps are installed to reinforce cylinder barrels and add strength to the bottom end.
Technical Notes: The distance from the crankshaft centerline to the deck surfaces is 9.80". It is used on 502 engines assembly, and partial engine. and can use roller tappet or stndard tappet. Casting P/N 10237300. Maximum over bore is 4.500".

hope that helps

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

That head is a 91 and up 454/502 head and it was on grate engines
And this is what i found on the block no#
Chevrolet Block Engine Casting Numbers Block Number List ... 10237300, 8, 502, 4, 1995.

Hope that helps Ron
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i also think some of the crate 502's didn't have provisions for a mechaincal fuel pump also..you had to run electric.

Ron and Chris gave some helpful advise

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
joeree
SHOW GUEST

WOW...guys I can't thank you enough for the fast help you have given me. That is just what I was looking for. I will be getting a set of aluminum heads and bottom end freshened up with a new intake. The motor came with a Edelbrock Victor and a NOS pro shot fogger system plumbed in but never finished off. I have no interest in nitrous(bad experience) so off it goes. I was told this was built for the juice and everything I found out about this car it right for it. theHowever, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks Again