Old School Modified Wanted

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 AM
KKC
JOURNEYMAN

Default Old School Modified Wanted

Okay, here is what I want to do...

I want to take an old school NASCAR Modified from the 80's and turn it into a hot rod.

Maybe some of you saw the 1935 Chevy Modified that was featured in Hot Rod magazine...

I want to do my theme based on the Vega modifieds that ran in the NE during the late 70's and early 80's. I have a '72 Vega Notchback that I'm going to use for the body of this. I also have a 409 Chevy engine and Richmond 5 speed tranny that I want to use. (You've got to admitt that the old "W" big blocks have a great look, and being it will be exposed, it should make for a better look in this case. It won't need a lot of HP in this 1800lbs car to make it go!) I think that this would make a pretty neat Hot Rod that no one else would have. I'm tired of going to car shows in a Mustang or Camaro where they are a dime a dozen. I want to drive something that is truely different.

What I need is an old school, NON offset chassis (complete as possible) from that era to get started!

If anyone knows of someone that has something like this rotting away in a field somewhere, please let me know.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Anything that is out there is going to be snatched up by vintage circle burner restorers / racers. Personally, I'd get out your Speedway Motors catalog and build it using new and safer parts. If you want a 2 seater you'll need a wider chassis anyway. Besides the mechanical technology of 'the day' is really not as safe as I'd want for regular street use. AND we need to save the real vintage stuff for historic reasons. I've wanted to build one of these myself and is on my bucket list of car builds !
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
KKC
JOURNEYMAN

Here is sort of what I want to do...

But with a Vega body on it.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

GO FOR IT AND JUST RECHECK ALL WELDS /BRACKETS /AND FITTINGS--------UPDATE YOUR SAFETY ITEMS AND GO HAVE A BALL. THE 409 IS A GREAT LOOKING ENGINE AND IF BUILT PROPERLY WILL GO ALONG WAYS-NEET IDEA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIVELY
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

YEAH !! THAT'S the one I saw that got ME all fired up also !! HOWEVER, it's ALL custom made for the street, and NOT a rebuilt, dedicated and ancient race car chassis.
I love the early 70's super mods look also !!! In circle AND drag racing !!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 PM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Anything that is out there is going to be snatched up by vintage circle burner restorers / racers. Personally, I'd get out your Speedway Motors catalog and build it using new and safer parts. If you want a 2 seater you'll need a wider chassis anyway. Besides the mechanical technology of 'the day' is really not as safe as I'd want for regular street use. AND we need to save the real vintage stuff for historic reasons. I've wanted to build one of these myself and is on my bucket list of car builds !
I agree that you should look at Speedways catalog and start with a new safer chassis. maybe even one of their street rod chassis, they have a neat track T kit that might be something to look at.
good luck with your project, sounds like fun!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Now another thought is, you can find LOTS of IMCA modifieds real cheap. And they all use a stock GM front clip.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
hilldale
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Old School Modified Wanted

Originally Posted by KKC

I want to take an old school NASCAR Modified from the 80's and turn it into a hot rod.

Maybe some of you saw the 1935 Chevy Modified that was featured in Hot Rod magazine...

I want to do my theme based on the Vega modifieds that ran in the NE during the late 70's and early 80's. I have a '72 Vega Notchback that I'm going to use for the body of this. I also have a 409 Chevy engine and Richmond 5 speed tranny that I want to use. (You've got to admitt that the old "W" big blocks have a great look, and being it will be exposed, it should make for a better look in this case. It won't need a lot of HP in this 1800lbs car to make it go!) I think that this would make a pretty neat Hot Rod that no one else would have. I'm tired of going to car shows in a Mustang or Camaro where they are a dime a dozen. I want to drive something that is truely different.

What I need is an old school, NON offset chassis (complete as possible) from that era to get started!

If anyone knows of someone that has something like this rotting away in a field somewhere, please let me know.
yes i have found it., i told you something was wrong with you. i was looking for your car part in a field and found your brain kkc.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM
hilldale
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Old School Modified Wanted

Originally Posted by KKC

is that a picture of you banging on the cow bell with a stick.?