Liquidating 383 - Advice Needed

Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 AM
jclow
SHOW GUEST

Default Liquidating 383 - Advice Needed

So I need some advice from those of you in the know...

In '00-01, I had a 383 stroker built for me by Frank Beck and Beck Racing Engines in Phoenix, AZ. At that time, I intended to put the motor in a project vette I was going to use for open road races. Due to an unrelated business failure, the motor was never installed. In fact, it is still in the same crate that Beck shipped it to me in. Also due to the same unrelated business failure, IRS and my accountant have every shred of paperwork related to this motor.
Repeated attempts to locate the missing receipt and specs have come up unsuccessful. :cry:

However, I can, upon legitimate request, verify approximate amount invested and approximate engine dyno results. I have a little over $20k invested in the motor. It dyno'd at around 550hp naturally aspirated and mid 600hp with NOS.

Does anyone have an idea what I might expect to get for this motor at sale? I had someone tell me to put it on Ebay with no reserve but just can't stomach the thought of it selling for $1k. What are your thoughts on method of sale? Any help/advice would be very greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Depending on the parts in it, brand new or not to me its a used motor because its not coming straight from the motor shop.
If it has good parts 3-5k right now with a soft market. I am sorry to say 20k for a motor like that is wayyy to much.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 AM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

if its been sitting for 7 years in a crate unturned i dont expect youll get much for it. i could be wrong it happens.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
jclow
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the replies so far! I realize I'm not going to get much for it and have no disillusions about recouping even half of my costs. That said, would I be better parting it out? I know everything on it was top quality 7 years ago... but I'm sure some of it is obsolete now. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

well you never know like hammertime said the market is soft seems like nobody has any extra money
Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 383

There Sure are some GREAT,SALEMEN out there!!!383ci=550HP.But,there NO Way that i see it ADDING up to 20G's?And,7 Years ago,did it come with a CHASSIS?
Lets be Realistic!
Later
G 8)
Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
jclow
SHOW GUEST

I paid too much for the engine, I GET IT!

Rather than rub in the fact that I got robbed, why not offer some friendly advice as to how to recoup as much as possible? Sheeesh!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 383

I WAS NOT Rubbing!@
What i was SAYING?Its a GODDAM Shame,that Guys can do this and Get AWAY with it?
We Are ALL in the SAME GAME!
Sorry if icame OFF That Way!
Later
G 8)
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

tell us some parts in the motor, we can tell you more about what its worth parted out or together ??
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

hammertime is right a parts list would help ,like block-heads-intake-rockers-carb,but you still might be better off to take it apart take pics and that way theres no guessing what you see is what you get .i like to see what i'm buying .good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -