buying cars out of town Right or Wrong

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default buying cars out of town Right or Wrong

I 've been looking to buy a Muscle car for awhile. I found a nice Chevelle on Ebay. It had a buy it now so I got the guys number to call him to discuss buying it now. Here's what I always do. I told him if the car in the pictures he has is like it is in person and the motor runs as he said it does I will be at his house to pick up the car with cash this Sunday morning. It's about a 5 1/2 to 6 hour ride one way for me.

He said he would like a wire transfer for the total amount before I can buy it now. Now my thinking is why would I want to pay him for a car I have never seen in person or heard run before. If I get up there and don't want the car as in not being what he says it is then he's got my money and I almost have to leave with the car. I say if the car is what he says it is then he should have no problem and would expect to get my money when I get there if he's being honest about his car.

Just wanting to know if you guys think the way I'm thinking is fair. Because if people want the money up front with out me looking at the car, I'm not going to be able to buy a car out of town. I do understand that the guy doesn't know me from Adam but if his car is what he says it is it will sell for cash on the spot. Looking for your opinions and don't feel bad to tell me I'm wrong here. I think if you give a dowm payment before you get there to pick up the car you will pay hell getting it back. I don't want to spend a night in jail if you know what I mean.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Vince,

PM me the link to his ad.

The wire transfer thing makes me suspicious and I am good at spotting scams over there.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

SENDING A SMALL HOLDING FEE IS NOT OUT OF LINE IF YOU ARE WAITING SEVERAL DAYS TO GO SEE THE CAR[$100].--THEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CAR YOU , YOU WOULD GET HALF BACK AND HE GETS SOMETHING FOR HIS WAITING ON YOU. SENDING THE WHOLE AMOUNT WITHOUT SEEING THE CAR IN PERSON OR HAVING SOMEONE ELSE LOOK AT IT IS NUTS!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: ---HAVE HIM SEND LOTS OF PICS AND ASK LOTS OF ????---THEN COMPARE THE INFO WHEN YOU GET THERE AND SEE IF ANYTHING HAS CHANGED OR IS MISSING---MY 2 CENTS WORTH AND HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY
Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Vince i don't think you need this car that bad. I've sold a few cars on ebay and never ask for money out front, although 1 guy did send the whole amount for a 1938 ford pickup, before picking it up.
I also bought my Anglia off ebay and was 650 miles away.
I sent him a $500.00 retainer and paid balance in cash when picking it up 7 days later. Maybe you should just bid on it, i'm sure the terms are different than the buy it now price. In my opinion you're right to be suspisous of a wire transfer, the car might not even be there when you there.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

I'VE SOLD SERVAL CARS/TRUCKS ON E-BAY IN THE PAST SUMMER FOR FRIENDS..THIS IS THE WAY IT IS DONE ON E-BAY..YOU BID OR DO A BUY NOW ON E-BAY YOU PAY FOR ITEM BEFORE YOU GET ITEM..EVERY CAR/TRUCK I SOLD ON E-BAY WAS PAID FOR BEFOR I SHIP IT TO THEM OR THEY CAME FOR IT.ONLY TIME IT WAS DIFFERENT WAS I HAD A HARLEY LISTED FOR A BUY NOW ITEM..I HAD A GUY DRIVE 70 MILES TO LOOK AT IT..WAS HAPPY WITH IT BUT E-BAY'S POLICIES IS IF YOU HAVE ITEM LISTED ON E-BAY YOU ARE NOT ALLOW TO SELL OFF E-BAY SO WHAT HE DID WAS HE DECIDED HE WANTED IT SO WE GOT ON E-BAY ON MY COMPUTTER AND HE SIGNED IN AND DID THE BUY NOW ON E-BAY AND THEN GAVE ME THE CASH FOR IT AND TOOK IT HOME..TO STAY IN GOOD STANDINGS WITH E-BAY AND WITHIN THERE RULES YOU MUST SELL ON E-BAY ONCE YOU HAVE LISTED IT ON THERE.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
bigstu
APPRENTICE

I've gambled before on a roller and paid without seeing it and I believe I got what I paid for. But a complete muscle car, I think not - not without seeing and hearing it fisrt. I'd agree to send a small deposit to hold it a few days but that's it. just my 2 cents!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Vince I see both sides of this thanks to hotrod harley but I wouldnt buy without looking . I also like the part about sending a small deposit to the guy to be fair also.. David.