window net

Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by spib
Originally Posted by Tod74
Mine has a seat belt buckle welded to the cage by the main hoop and another on the door bar...it is fastened at the fronty on the bar that goes down by the windshield pillar...I would have to look again because I do not run one...but the car is set up for it.
you go faster then 10.99 in that nova dont you?
and if you do, how do you get away with not having a window net?
Same way I get away with not having a trans shield, or having the chassis certified....they don't check.

I have been waiting on them to tell me about the net but they never have...I only run one place and they are an Outlaw track I guess you would call it... They tech the cars once a year and give you a sticker.

I am going to install both the net and the trans shield before I run it again......I bought the car as a roller and just never installed a net...previous owner had one.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Cage it and be safer at ANY speed !There is no such thing as having TOO MUCH safety equipment
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Its had a cage from day one, after the back half, I just have never gone fast enough to have to worry abought sfi stuff and a window net, but with new motor should go into the 10's so have to adhere to a lot of rules that didnt apply at high 12's were I have been
Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

O'k SPIB, here is how i installed mine. I think i bought the net and kit form Jegs, it came with 2 round solid steel rods which i chose to not use. I used 1 on the top and did the bottom differently. To keep the net attached to the end of the rod when not hooked up i put a small amount of silicon on the 2 end strips then locked it up over nite. On the bottom i used 1/8" X 3/4" alum flat stock and as you can see it's bolted on both ends to the net keeping it streched out. I attached 1 tab to the shoulder bar and used seat belt mat'l to bolt the net and bar to the shoulder bar. At the back i attached a tab to the back brace and bolted a 2" long piece of the 3/4" alum and dropped it down so the net was tight. The top bolt is locked into the tab the bottom bolt swivels so the front of the net can drop down for easy entry into the car. I used 1/4" allen head bolts and nyloc nuts every where. As you can see the net is very tight and spred as it should be.

Zip.

Yes i know i gotta get out the rattle can, amazing how fast the paint comes off the cage and here in La. everything rust overnite.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by zipper06
O'k SPIB, here is how i installed mine. I think i bought the net and kit form Jegs, it came with 2 round solid steel rods which i chose to not use. I used 1 on the top and did the bottom differently. To keep the net attached to the end of the rod when not hooked up i put a small amount of silicon on the 2 end strips then locked it up over nite. On the bottom i used 1/8" X 3/4" alum flat stock and as you can see it's bolted on both ends to the net keeping it streched out. I attached 1 tab to the shoulder bar and used seat belt mat'l to bolt the net and bar to the shoulder bar. At the back i attached a tab to the back brace and bolted a 2" long piece of the 3/4" alum and dropped it down so the net was tight. The top bolt is locked into the tab the bottom bolt swivels so the front of the net can drop down for easy entry into the car. I used 1/4" allen head bolts and nyloc nuts every where. As you can see the net is very tight and spred as it should be.

Zip.

Yes i know i gotta get out the rattle can, amazing how fast the paint comes off the cage and here in La. everything rust overnite.

Hey Zip...Don't want to stir anything up, but from my experience your upper net mount is supposed to be on the inside of you cage.

TS1955
Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

thanks every one for replys and pics, ordered a net and install kit from competion products today
thanks again mark
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TS1955
Originally Posted by zipper06

Zip.

Hey Zip...Don't want to stir anything up, but from my experience your upper net mount is supposed to be on the inside of you cage.

TS1955
Yes you are right, and it's defined in the rule book general section 6.3, i should have mentioned that too SPIB on the original post,

( SO SPIB listen up read rule 6.3 when you install the net.)

And thanks TS1955 for pointing that out. That is an old mounting installed in 2003 but never used, however the bottom mounting is new and i'll change that before getting the car certified to 8.50 this summer. I just re-did the shoulder and front down bars in aug. 2009 and should have done it then ops:

Zip.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

DD that would be an illegal top mount per NHRA rule book, but kinda funny is that NASCAR mounts theirs on the outside of the roll cage and they crash a 100 times more often that drag cars do, go figure.

Zip.