tube chassis front strut question

Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
rlolley
SHOW GUEST

Default tube chassis front strut question

My first strut car, picked up as a roller, Passenger side strut spring is lower than drivers (and softer), shouldn't the springs on both sides be the same height from the bottom of the strut? Drivers side is very stiff also. previous owner says all was well when he ran 8.40's but not sure if I trust him.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Your description means that you have preload in the driver side. You are looking at the movable part of the spring perch. I always run them exactly the same in front and usually in the rear as well. Someone may have been trying to get preload in the suspension with the front springs. I would not recommend doing it that way. The accepted method in tube cars is to get your preload with the rear suspension. The driver side will be lower to the ground with positive preload. Your previous owner may have tried to preload without changing the rear suspension? I would put the springs in the same position on both sides and be sure that you have 1/2" of shock still available at race weight for bump travel before the rubber snuber begins to hit. You will likely need to check the rear preload after setting the springs in the correct settings so you know where you are.
Bruce
Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM
rlolley
SHOW GUEST

thanks, that is what Strange, Chassis works, and other strut suppliers said, makes sence to me. Im not sure yet if they are 3" or 4" struts, you think 1/2" is enough for a 4" strut?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 PM
rlolley
SHOW GUEST

Bruce, maybe "thanks" isn't good enough, I really appreciate the reply, It really helps when someone with experience is kind enough to share his time and knowledge to help someone out. I've googled for 2 days and couldn't get that information from anyone running struts.

Thanks again,
robert
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

You are welcome Robert. You can run between 1/2" and 3/4" showing on the front shocks for bump travel regardless of front shock travel. The rears, it depends on how long the travel is in them, the front are always set to .5 to .75" when best. After pre-loading the chassis from neutral your suspension and shock tops will be at different heights, and that is normal FYI. Have fun with your new car Robert, adjusting them is 1/2 the fun of racing for some of us.
Bruce