RACING JUNKIE

i agree, mostly a damm good street fighter, not strong for the strip,
just put a corvette motor in it :lol: :lol: :shock:
Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by signsbyesa
not strong for the strip,
They can be quite the big motor at the strip if you build it right.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by traysvega

It was splayed capped ,filled with crete to the bottom on the water pump holes and the usual machine work,line bored hone,square decked with plugs,etc..
I'd build another. :wink:

How much money did/do you have in that block after all that?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74

It was splayed capped ,filled with crete to the bottom on the water pump holes and the usual machine work,line bored hone,square decked with plugs,etc..

650.00 in machine work and 100 bucks in the caps.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have built a couple 406 and I am not saying everyone should buy an aftermarket block, but for the sake of discussion....

in your case you seem to have built the thing to survive some power

A 400 block around here will cost ya about $300 or so. So unless you have a block for free you will end up with a grand in a block that has a bad reputation for failure. My uncle lost 2 engines in 2 years from the factory 400 block failing...(although his wasn't filled )

He ended up buying a Dart SHP block. He would have been money way ahead if he would have started with the good block.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

--I GOT THE COMPLETE RUNNING ENGINE FOR AROUND $100 IN THE TRADE--SO REALLY I CAN'T LOSE ON THE DEAL 8)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

I have built a couple 406 and I am not saying everyone should buy an aftermarket block, but for the sake of discussion....

in your case you seem to have built the thing to survive some power

A 400 block around here will cost ya about $300 or so. So unless you have a block for free you will end up with a grand in a block that has a bad reputation for failure. My uncle lost 2 engines in 2 years from the factory 400 block failing...(although his wasn't filled )

He ended up buying a Dart SHP block. He would have been money way ahead if he would have started with the good block.

By all means if you have the money for an SHP block get it.But,if you check the block for core shift,wall thickness and it turns out usable,I'd build another.I've seen failures on 350 block also.Yes agreed, if the person with the block knows anything about what it is it wil cost you at least 300.Trick IMO is finding a GOOD core block to start with.Also wouldnt use a 4 bolt 400 block myself unless its under 500 hp/6500 rpm.Most just take it to the machine shop,get it machined and put it together with fingers crossed.I clearanced the block myself.I also put a CNC motorsports eagle blem crank in it,used set of h-beams from another motor.Only thing that cost was the j.e. pistons that went it it.Freinds camaro ran a 400 block for 7 years without failure and it was built by B.E.S. Finally,it was worn enough to warrant a shp block.But it didnt blow up.Bored to the max it finally cracked a wall and let alittle water into the cylinder.Temps where unstable and he knew there was a problem.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

I so far have had no problems with my 600hp 4 bolt main 400 that i have been racing for the last 3 years.But i know it's coming.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

My uncles was in a dirt track stock car. They run methanol.He used that engine for 2 or 3 years no issues.Freshened it up and upped the compression a little and the first or second race split the cylinder wall.The second one blew up so it is hard to say exactly what went first, but a chunk of the main webbing came out with the main cap.