Another oil pan question for SBC

Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
lmccoll
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Another oil pan question for SBC

In looking at oil pans for my 383, do you think a kicked out oil pan is better or a straight down pan? This is just for drag race. I was thinking of a kicked out pan, but I think changing the starter might be harder.

Any suggestions? It needs to be a 7 quart pan.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I run this one, it's cheap and doesn't get in the way of the starter. Also it's cleared for the 383 stroke with little notches in the pan rails. Moroso also make the same pan but more expensive.

Zip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stree...mZ180150941266
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default oil pans

Originally Posted by et7333
Heh Zip do you the pick up that comes with the pan?If not what pick up do you use?
Sir i have in my possesion 6 oil pans with the pickups. I donot want to be accused of advertising here on RJ, without paying my dues because i don't advertise my stuff. PM me and i can arrange it. Shipping is about $15.00 give or take.
Any way less than $80.00 complete.

Zip.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 AM
racear2865
APPRENTICE

Picking an oil pan for drag racing should be more than just looking, especially a wet sump. Engineering wise for drag racing, you want the deepest pan that you can get and then pull oil from as far down in the pan as you can get. If you drill an install temp probes, you will find that oil is at different temperatures thru out the pan. At the rear of the pan you want all corners as square as you can get it to resist oil climb up the pan. . Put a piece of sheet metal under the pump and fit it as closely as you can to the pan so that there is no climb up the pan on launch. Run a oil scraper and hand fit it as close as you can to the reciprocating parts so that you can strip all the oil that you can from these rotating part. Run a wire screen under this to brake up the oil into fine mist so that it doesn't hit the oil in the pan and cause aeration. Ant thing that you do keep oil off the cylinder walls will let you reduce the tension on the oil ring, again a gain in horsepower and a better sealing top ring. Will stop hydro planing of top ring. Other items can be done, but my point is do not over look using the pan to make power. Remember this is only my opinion and the women of the house says that ain't even worth two cents on todays market.
racear
Old 09-13-2007, 08:13 PM
KATAutomotive
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: oil pans

Got anything for a 1-piece rear main seal that wold fit a 2nd gen camaro? Preferably with screen and scrapper?
You seem to have a lot to sell. Do you have a web site?

Originally Posted by zipper06
Sir i have in my possesion 6 oil pans with the pickups. I donot want to be accused of advertising here on RJ, without paying my dues because i don't advertise my stuff. PM me and i can arrange it. Shipping is about $15.00 give or take.

Zip.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: oil pans

Originally Posted by KATAutomotive
Got anything for a 1-piece rear main seal that wold fit a 2nd gen camaro? Preferably with screen and scrapper?
You seem to have a lot to sell. Do you have a web site?

Originally Posted by zipper06

Zip.
I do not have one on hand, but i can have one dropped shipped from the warehouse. That would be a passenger dip stick, with the same pickup as the one mentioned in the prior post. However the screen and wiper are seperate items. The passenger side cost $10.00 more ($90.00 plus shipping) and comes in Black.
about a website, no i do not have a website, but i think i should open one on RJ. I do have a lot of stock on hand, and i only sell word of mouth.
Maybe i'll talk to Tom about me building one here on RJ.
From what's been going on with some of the sellers here we could use an honest one.
The only thing is i also sell ProComp stuff and most people call them chinese junk.

Zip.

PM me if you are intrested
Old 09-14-2007, 05:16 AM
racear2865
APPRENTICE

Zip
I am porting a set of Procomp heads for a customer so that I can see for my self what the flow is and dip in velocity. I also have a set of Ford small blocks to do after this set. Hope to have enough time to flow. Chevy are going on a 383. The Ford's are going on a 408 W. Let's talk sometime. I love knowlege but I like prices even better.
racear :?: