Fighting Back At Scammers

Old 06-30-2017, 04:45 AM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

very interesting post, how do they screw you thru pay-pal?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Traxx1246
SHOW GUEST

Anybody else have a problem with people sending the worst fake checks as payment?? Ive received two different checks from two different people from two different states (Fla. And Ga.). But both were mailed from the same city in Calif. and both for the same amount and on the same kind of paper and for a much larger amount than was needed. Local bank even said it was junk.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM
agate
SHOW GUEST

Bob is at it again. Wants to buy my car from Canada thru PayPal...what an asshole. 347 906 6378
Old 08-11-2018, 08:34 AM
oversteerdriver
SHOW GUEST

Heads up y'all...I just got an "offer to pay full price" from Ross McIntosh. Exact same wording and sob story about being wheelchair bound etc for my 1990 Spec Miata which he has to purchase ASAP via PayPal.

Here is the email I received after receiving an initial text message requesting more photos.

"Thanks for getting back to me regarding the text...I hope it is in good condition? and there wont be any cause of disappointment if i purchase it from you? I am ready to pay the asking price, i need to buy it for my Son asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.I have a freight agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money,My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible,So kindly get back to me with the info below so I can work everything out!

PayPal Email:
Full Name:
Firm Price:
Phone#:

Thanks."

Anyway, watch out for this dude. And THANK YOU to all who posted the thread to warn the rest of us.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM
oversteerdriver
SHOW GUEST

This is the exact email that I was contacted from: [email protected]
The text number for this person is 316-217-8834.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
jrsmith440
SHOW GUEST

Have placed 2 ads in the past 2 days. Reply to first ad was text about sending bank certified check USPS overnight mail. Second text said check was sent (Sunday of Memorial Day weekend?), excess funds, contact me with shipper information. Realized then it was a scam. Text reply to second ad started with bank certified check spiel. My reply to both has been cash or paypal only, phone call only, no texts. Is this usual for Racing Junk? This is first time I have placed ads on this site. Have used Ebay quite a bit with no problem and have also used Craigs List.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Nightlite
SHOW GUEST

Default 8-71

See there is an 8-71 listed with all drive accessories for 3650. The ad was on here a year or two ago for 8500. Same pictures same text but now a different username.

The phone number is in cody Wyoming, The parts are in Texas. I was given a bank account number in cedar park texas and when I looked up his supposed home address it was in the middle of a 4 lane intersection with no houses around.

Suck people have to play like that here, I could really use them parts.

Will only take a direct deposit to his new account number. No PayPal.. Says I can send half the money and when parts show up pay the rest.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:24 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Flag the ad

As close to "Normal" as I can get...