ported intake Question

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default ported intake Question

I have a 434 small block that came with a elddy super victor 2925 & Holley HP 950 it ran 6.20 1/8 @ 112 mph and 9.73 1/4 @ 140 mph . the man I got it from said if I would go to a larger carb it would do better. well who do you know that does not want to go faster. so I bought a new 1050 Holley Dom. and a polished Brodix intake 1002 I put it on and the best time I can get in the 1/8 is 6.32 @ 111 mph. we went from 90 jets down to 80's and the 80's would only run about 1/2 track up and down not enough gas. I've heard 50 different reasons why it slowed down. the one thing I keep hearing is that the intake is polished for alcohol not gas. this intake as a mirror finish inside. I'm putting my 950 back on but I was just wandering if anyone could just help with this so I can learn from this.
The motor -434- 15.3 to 1 comp. [665 HP]
58 cc Dart Pro 1 heads
690 lift comp cam Roller
2500# car
P/G - 176
514 gear
I had a 421 w/ AFR 227 heads. and I ran a Dominator with a dart intake and it was sweet 675 HP
Thanks Andy
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

my 434 was always faster with the 950 over a 1050. I also found a non ported intake to be faster

Ported for alky and not gas :?:
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

ops: NEW ONE ON ME ops: NOT SAYING THAT THERE ISN'T SUCH A THING , BUT JUST NEW TO ME , HOW WOULD A PORT KNOW IF GAS OR ALCOHOL IS GOING THROUGH IT :?: MAYBY I CAN LEARN SOMETHING , TOO NEVER TOO OLD , OR SO I'VE BEEN TOLD :lol:
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
my 434 was always faster with the 950 over a 1050. I also found a non ported intake to be faster

Ported for alky and not gas :?:
My 428 is faster with the 950. I had the ports matched to the gasket, no polish...
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I think maybe airspeed and port velocity might be the cuprit here. With a drop in airspeed you can lose fuel suspension, (especially on alcohol), or just plane lose cylinder filling. Here is a site that I would direct you to, the site owner is pretty good on porting and a really nice guy to boot. Go over there and ask Chad about your combo.

http://www.1320techtalk.com/

Curtis
Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks doorracer, I was curious about the polishing job it had on it not the porting end of it. I understand the porting part and I thought I understood polishing but I still have lots to learn. several people have told me that a mirror polishing job like the one on this intake would suit alcohol better than gas. why I don't know. they said it was because gas needed a more coarse intake so it would have more time to atomize. Still I don't know
Just asking
Andy
Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I don't believe the polished finish would benefit methanol any more than gas. There is way more methanol in the air stream you are trying to keep suspended than gas so I think it is better for both. I think a person would see more surface tension on the polished port than on a rough port.

Andy I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down to you that certainly was never my intent, just talking out loud so to speak. Talking to Chad could still be helpful though since he does porting and could maybe add to the polished question. I hope you get a better answer than I could give, I hate to see someone spend dollars with no ROI.

Curtis
Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thank you very much again Dooracer, No offence Taken, I did go to the link you gave me and I read a lot of the post there and really liked the one where they did the Dino pulls on the 4 different intakes and spacers. very interesting to say the least. I need to spend more time on these Forums and start talking and listening more at the track. well I'm going to put my 2925 and 950 back on and I'll just mark this one up as experiance. yall keep up the good work helping when you can,
Be safe and go quick. Andy Byrd
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Just for $hits and giggles, get a dominator flange adapter slap the 1050 on the manifold you've been running and see if there is any inprovement over the 950.
On the dominator, I would bump up the jetting to around 88's sqaure.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Well you know that would had been a perfect thing to do BUT Me being what I am I always think I know everything. just because my 421 dynoed out 12 HP more than my 434 w/ the Dom. I thought putting the Dom on would be better So I sold the 950 and the Intake. and I have just recieved the new Holley Ultra HP 950, and well now I would like to get a opion on what yall think the best intake is. I used a Dart on the 421 great intake. I used a Holley strip dominator on a 355 great intake. I used the Eldebrock 2925 S.V Jr. on the 434 Great intake. do you have to try all these on the same motor to see what is the best and if so as anyone done that or know someone that has. I'm gonna try the strip dominator and the 950 next and see if it is better or worse than the super victor Jr.2925.
Thanks for any Opions, Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -