tire clearance

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

What width rim are you using now? Usually there is a range of rim widths you can use on the same tire. You can check with the tire manufacturer to find out what they recommend. If you go to a slightly narrower wheel it will pull the sidewall bulge in and provide more clearence. It depends on what you use for rear suspension to determine how little clearence you can get by with, in most cases an inch is plenty and 3/4 is enough. If the suspension has a good track locater you can get by with less than say a leaf spring/slapper bar arrangement.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
What width rim are you using now? Usually there is a range of rim widths you can use on the same tire. You can check with the tire manufacturer to find out what they recommend. If you go to a slightly narrower wheel it will pull the sidewall bulge in and provide more clearence. It depends on what you use for rear suspension to determine how little clearence you can get by with, in most cases an inch is plenty and 3/4 is enough. If the suspension has a good track locater you can get by with less than say a leaf spring/slapper bar arrangement.
14 inch wheel. Tire is a 32 x 14 goodyear.

Suspension is a ladder bar /coil over, has the diagonal track bar.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Goodyear's catalog says "acceptable application for rim width is tread plus or minus one inch". So a 13" wheel should give you a little extra clearence on the sidewall. I like a wishbone locater better but the diagonal link should keep it fairly steady. I think an inch should be enough.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:30 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah what gearhead said. I did the same thing went from a 16 to a 15 inch wide rim with same BS I had before and gained clearance that way. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
Yeah what gearhead said. I did the same thing went from a 16 to a 15 inch wide rim with same BS I had before and gained clearance that way. Hope this helps.
Does the 1 inch narrower rim change the height of the tire any noticeable amount? seems like it would if it pulls the sides in. The tires sort of crown in the middle on a 14 " rim. I will take some pics if I can get a clear shot. I am in no huge hurry to buy the wheels..just shopping. Trying to concentrate on getting it runing again as I took it apart last fall...just been waiting on the weather.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by BEAST477
Does the 1 inch narrower rim change the height of the tire any noticeable amount? seems like it would if it pulls the sides in. The tires sort of crown in the middle on a 14 " rim. I will take some pics if I can get a clear shot. I am in no huge hurry to buy the wheels..just shopping. Trying to concentrate on getting it runing again as I took it apart last fall...just been waiting on the weather.
Shouldn't change the height much if any at all. You might have to change the air pressure a little.