Dragster tire recommendation

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
ThomasL
APPRENTICE

Default Dragster tire recommendation

I'm looking for some recommendations for slicks for my brothers dragster. It's a hard tail 225" dragster and we are putting a 650 to 700 horse 434 in for next year. Problem is that it currently only has 10 wide rims. I see Hoosier has a soft 12.2X32 tire that would work on the narrow rim. Would that be enough tire? Do we need to buy 14 wide rims? I see smaller displacement class comp cars use smaller tires and narrower rims, with quick 60's, so I was wondering if you thought this would work. Hoping to stay around 100 to 102" rollout.
Thanks Tom
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

as they say the smaller the tire the faster you can go..
the 10.5 outlaw guys run mid 4 second 1/8 mile e/t's on 10 inch tires...but what they do..is stretch out the tread pattern by using say a 12 inch wheel and place the 10 inch tire on the wheel..flattening out the thread pattern.

i think he would be much better off running a wider rim (12/14 wide) with a smaller tire and stretching the thread pattern if anything...

i would do away with the 10 inch wheel irregardless before i went putting $500 in a set of tires for that wheel....
12 inch wheel minimum....
my 2 cents..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I found on all my dragsters the bigger tire may be slower but sure makes up for that in running the #, I ended up with the goodyear 2052 on my hardtail with 434. I would buy bigger rim.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I would run nothing less than a 15 inch wheel and tire. You are ET bracket racing, not comp eliminator racing. There is a reason for the tirese they run and if you look at the numbers, they are not deadly consistent. You should be able to pick up a deal on RJ.

I have not had a hard tail for about 10 years now but liked eithee a Good Year or Hoosier at that time. However, Mickey Thompson is worth a look. Thier tire program for the dragster has come along way. I have been running M/T on my suspended car( 33.5x17x16).