Proportioning valve on front or rear? Residual Valves?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Default Proportioning valve on front or rear? Residual Valves?

I wanted to ask your guys opinion on these two topics. I have a 65 Mustang Pro Street/Drag car with disc in front and drums in back. It had the original small cup mastercylinder on it which was not doing the job, to say the least. I installed a correct master cylinder for manual front disc/rear drums. On the strange engineering website they say to install proportioning valve on the front if its a drag car and on the rear if it's a street car. What if my car sees both? I do have 33x19.5x15 meats on the back and it would make sense to me to have full power on the rear and adjust the front discs on skinny tires?

The car also had a residual valve for the rear, with the old mastercylinder. Should I still install it or should the new mastercylinder have it internally.

I just want your opinion before I start bending line.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Proportioning valve on front or rear? Residual Valves?

Originally Posted by GLADIATORINC
I wanted to ask your guys opinion on these two topics. I have a 65 Mustang Pro Street/Drag car with disc in front and drums in back. It had the original small cup mastercylinder on it which was not doing the job, to say the least. I installed a correct master cylinder for manual front disc/rear drums. On the strange engineering website they say to install proportioning valve on the front if its a drag car and on the rear if it's a street car. What if my car sees both? I do have 33x19.5x15 meats on the back and it would make sense to me to have full power on the rear and adjust the front discs on skinny tires?

The car also had a residual valve for the rear, with the old mastercylinder. Should I still install it or should the new mastercylinder have it internally.

I just want your opinion before I start bending line.
I've had 2 mustangs with narrowed rearends. On one I installed the master cylinder like you have and didn't have to change anything. On the other I had to put a proportioning valve on the front. Just realize that 70% of your stopping come from the front tires. What you want is to put as much pressure to the front as you can without locking up the front tires. If your going to run it on the street get a good narrow street tire. The better the traction the more pressure you can put to the front.