IC and traction at different parts of track

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default IC and traction at different parts of track

Jerry Bickel's chassisbook says that long and low IC generates less initial tire hit but keeps tires planted for a longer time. Short and higher IC hits the tire harder, but doesn't keep the tration after that so well. I understand the the initial tire hit at the starting line but how much longer time with long and low IC? 1 second? 330ft? 5 seconds? To the half track? 1000ft?

For example for high rpm sbc with manual he sets car up with long and low IC because it hasn't the power to shook the tires farther down the track.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

Does anybody understand what I'm saying?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Yes' very well. Jerry Bickel is correct. All of the time the car is moving forward you want the tires to be forced toward the pavement.

Far too many chassis ghuru, owners and tuners now days are hung up on that high IC. Once all your rear suspension reaction is used up with that tremendous dead hook launch, that is all there is and cars do at times maintain traction because they now have all the weight on the rear wheels plus the additional thrust of the vector while accellerating forward.

You only need enough initial tire plant to start the car moving forward. Anything else is wasted monkey motions. then you want a continued more gradual tire plany all the way through the gears with tire plant going to almost none just before the gear change and immediately picking up again with each gear change.

That will get you the quickest 60 and down the track quicker.

Check out my free suspension tech pages at the top of this webpage.

Ed