coil over setup

Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default coil over setup

This http://www.speedzonemagazine.com/zon...4-07-08-19.htm

a link to see my car hooking up......need some opinions on things to do to get consistent 60 foots as they go from 1.4 to 1.51 in same day.all over the place never consistent

Right now on rear coil overs i have passenger side shock on number 6 and drivers at number 5.....should i try softening it up by one click.but i am scared that the front end stay up to long and will slow down the car...these are just my idea no proof......tell me a few of your ideas.....thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Video would tell more about how the car is leaving but smoking the tires when you leave is a pretty good indication that it's spinning the tires hard. There's no way you can be consistent with that much wheel spin. There are too many things that could be wrong with your set up to start listing things. How about more info on your car? Tires, pressure & temp, suspension (ladder bar or 4 link) instant center, corner weights, type of shocks, front suspension including free travel. You said it 60's 1.4 to 1.51, how about the rest of the run? do you have all the incrementals? At least the et & mph.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

as stated by gearhead, a little more info, or video would help, going from 1.4 to 1.51, short time is a fairly big swing, if that is tire smoke i see in the photo, i would say that you are hooking, and unhooking caused from hitting the tire a little to hard. if you have double adj, shocks try stiffening rebound, if not try more air press.,
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

i would say that you are hooking, and unhooking caused from hitting the tire a little to hard.
That is exactly what I see too.

Initial tire downward pressure to violent causing tire to basketball upward and brek traction momentarily is what I am seeing here.

DRop ladder bars one full hole and at same time loosen extension dampening on rear shocks. Yu may even have to tighten them up agin by some. I always re-adjust shocks after moving bars so the change is not as

If 4 link do the same with shocks but move Instant Center Down or Down and Forward next holes. The car is hooking too hard.

Ed
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

The car has 32x14x15 tires and i run usually 6.5 to 7 psi for pressure

that run in the picture is 6.5 psi....i don't feel any wheel spin in the car, my son says it isn't spinning but doesn't mean it isn't........as far as going up in tire pressure what do u recommend............

front shocks are 90-10 drag shocks

back shocks are only one postional adjustment
car is a ladder bar car with setup in middle hole
the car is front end heavy when we scaled it 55% front and 45% back

car weight is 2665 with me in it

car ran best time of 10.13 @ 130.56 mph in ok air

last weekend wasn't a good test had a few other issues and the air sucked friday air was 5600 feet and rh was up to 85 % at one time and most of the weekend was around 45%..........i greatly apreciate your input as i think the suspension is the hardest thing to figure out unless u have somebody knowledable watching and filming.........as i don't so i depend on your input.....any more input would be great

the times it runs will change up to 1/10th in the day depending on my 60 foots though and the mph falls only a little maybe 1 mph at most
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

ed,s explaination, of chassis adjustment would be the cure, the key, being the softing of the hit on the tire, short of that, the trick is to keep tire from being smashed, sometime you can do this with air, i would start with 8 psi and go up or down from there, i am thinking up, but testing is the only sure way to tell, good luck and post result,
Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Ed is the MAN at this!!! I agree, try more air in tires, play around, Next drop that 1 hole in the ladder bars in frt!!!! GOOD luck, David
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

For sure i will try more air pressure, it's free so a guy always trys something free first....lol...... i find the guys i race with most have no idea how the suspension works and myself i have little knowledge on this, this is my 3rd racing and i was green ....i have learnt alot but alot further to go

So if i stiffened up the rear shocks a couple clicks would this stop the tires from getting hit so hard to?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Your shocks control how fast your suspension hits your tires. Your Ladder Bars will determine how hard it hits them.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

thanks for the input i will try 8 psi in rear tires and go from there.

Do you guys think that my front shocks are to loose to as i am usuing 90-10 drag shocks maybe ineed some stiffer shocks up front....thanks for input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -