not heard of it, or they don't cost an arm or a leg, and they come
from china, they have plenty to say, me have not used them but
send you to a site and let you talk to the guys who have some
great rods http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/co...acementRod.asp

even the best will break, check out the forum :wink:
how true ,and right you are-lol
HEY WE HAVE OUR REPUTATIONS NOW lolol

the big me little you $hiit gets old doesn't it

Hey look....maybe i am reading your post wrong but i see it can only be taken one way....so let me say again.. this is about a public forum where someone ask for opinions...if you do not want a non-biased opinion on a subject then i suggest do not ask for them.....this is directed to you only Poncholvr..sorry if i mis-understood your post...particularly the last sentenance ..but i do not think i did...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by johnracer
I built a 355 with a B&M 144 supercharger for a guy "back in the day" and he insisted that it be painted pink. It was a pretty mild deal and I told him that it probably made around 450-500hp. I later heard that he told everyone that it was at least 800. May be something to that pink paint.....
hahahaha--- i didn't think the pink would give a ego trip- :twisted:
i wonder how many times he got a whoopin- :twisted:
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
Originally Posted by poncholvr
Originally Posted by signsbyesa
get ready, you are expected to only buy the best, if they have
not heard of it, or they don't cost an arm or a leg, and they come
from china, they have plenty to say, me have not used them but
send you to a site and let you talk to the guys who have some
great rods http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/co...acementRod.asp

even the best will break, check out the forum :wink:
how true ,and right you are-lol
HEY WE HAVE OUR REPUTATIONS NOW lolol

the big me little you $hiit gets old doesn't it

Hey look....maybe i am reading your post wrong but i see it can only be taken one way....so let me say again.. this is about a public forum where someone ask for opinions...if you do not want a non-biased opinion on a subject then i suggest do not ask for them.....this is directed to you only Poncholvr..sorry if i mis-understood your post...particularly the last sentenance ..but i do not think i did...

Brian

YOU MUST HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD IT-
OR YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE- (THAT BE LITTLE OTHERS FOR USING LESS EXPENSIVE STUFF)

IT WAS ABOUT - WHEN SOMEONE ASKS A QUESTION, AND GETS LOOKED DOWN ON FOR THERE ANSWER--(OR CHOICE OF PART)

( BRIAN - I AM TALKING TO U)-
AND YEA ITS A PUBLIC FORUM-, AND YEA THATS MY OPINION-
AND TOO BAD IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I suggest to not use the cast steel crank from anyone unless it is a low pered application. I have not read the rest of this thread yet so may come back and add more here. Factory GM Cast Iron I am much more comforatble with than cast steel from China.

The factory Chevy NUDULAR IRON Crank is very strong and is a favorite of mine for budget strokers. That little recognized crank is good for over 800 hp. It will handle as much or more than your block.

Ed
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

A factory GM 5.565 400 cu in rod with ARP Bolts & Nuts will handle 500 hp. Reworked 5.700 rods with good botls will handle more.

I have never seen any offshore rod from anyone of any design that is steel that will not be good for 500 hp.

The Eagle H Beam rods seem to use a shoter bolt head than Scat or Cat does. As far as I am cincerned the Cat 4340 is as strong as the Eagle, Scat or other animals. I know nothing about the Hawk but am suspicious of it becuase of the similarity to the Eagle in logo and name. It is also a yet unknown. Elgin offered a 5140 rod like this Cat and I would bet it is the same with different name. Same as the 5140 cranks 4130 cranks etc.

It it was my own engine for that price and it being steel I would try out the Pro Comp rods. I would not try them in a customer engine though. I would also check them very thoroughly for maching quality before using them and as always wouldprefer an ARP Bolt or a Dorman HPX or Mr Gasket SPS Bolt.

I applaud you for trying to build a decent engine with no bucks. I specialize on doing more for less. I have done it all my life.

If anyone bought Chevy Pink Rods from JC Whitney, my bet is they were clones. GM didn't make all that manyof those. Like was said the Pink Rods were in the 1970 LT-1 engines and were in the 1969 302 cu in Camaro for IROC. All it was is a 5.7 rod that was like earlier said, double or triple magnaflux checked for cracks and were shot peened with better bolts in them. The reason of the Pink dabs or stripe was only for identification purposes for the assembler to recognize the rod was different and was for only a special engine and required different bolts. The marketing genious who decided on pink I am sure hoped the color would mean something, becuase in that day Ed Pink was one of the top name engine builders for Top Fuel and other competition only engines. Ed Pink had nothing to do with Pink getting chosen. I have even seen pink Rods at swap meets that were fully painted pink. lol.

Ed
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I wasn;t critisizing anyone for building an engine using inexpensive parts. The Scat rods I recomended, vs the Pro-Comps, are between roughly $200-$275. The reason I don;t like Pro-Comp, which, I am sure is probably ok for the money, is for the reason I stated above. There great R&D department. :roll: . Thats all. I could offer to sell him some rods, but I didn;t. I just recomended something, based on what I know works, and holds up. I am with Ed, all of us engine guys, would love to build nothing but $30-$50,000+ engines all day long, but the reality is, we build a lot more of the regular guy stuff, and that means using less expensive parts, such as Eagle and Scat, and a few others. Certain stuff, I absolutely will not use, for more than one reason, whether it an ethical issue with a certain company, or, a quality issue. I have seen just about every part made, thats available these days, and, some, I wouldn;t use if you gave it to me. There is some stuff, I wouldn;t take a semi truck full of the stuff, if they gave it to me. I have taken sstuff out of the box, and busted out laughing, I mean, really laughing. The stuff was such a joke, it was rediculous. Needless to say, it went back. Valve train parts, for the most part, I stay as far away as possible from the stuff, if its cheap china knock offs, with few exceptions. Descriptions like, "needs good oil suply, and low spring pressures to survive" thats an EXACT description of a fairly well known, and heavily advertised rocker arm. Besides that, the Geomtry, just doesn;t work, no matter if you have the right length pushrod or not, the way it sweeps, is really messed up.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com

Frank