Connecting rod ?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by poncholvr
how many oliver rods have been broken ?
possible it was just a bad rod?

i was told that eagle rods are good upto 1400 horse as long as you change the bolts- anyone know about this???

also what do you guys think about carrillo rods,and the new k1 rods by carrillo????

This is one of them questiosn that will get a lot of answers from what everyone has had good and bad luck with.

Eagle .. I use them and have with no failure at all. I know a lot of motor shops that use nothing but eagle with the L19 rod bolts with 1200-1300hp motors and have did so for years. Manley makes a good rod also ... there is several good choices to this question, to eachs own.
Still have the remainder of your Oliver rods? I'd be interested in taking that junk off your hands.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I've used them all we all use what works for us .. I am simply stating that was a rod failure and it does happen to every brand out there ..
Mine picture must be bad lighting because its not blue or cracked at all. The bearings look like brand new. It something that happens and does to everyone at some point in time.

What else was ruined when that rod broke? ( besides your under shorts)

just curious. I have never had an engine "explode" like that....especially right behind my head( dragster I assume) Makes me wonder what the old timers were smoking before they climbed in those old slingshot dragsters with the blower motor in front of em :shock: .......not me...no way.
It actually wasnt to out of shape when It happened. I got lucky there.

This was each side of the block. I saved the crank, rebuilt the oil pump and got the heads fixed, the rest went to the scrap yard.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by poncholvr
how many oliver rods have been broken ?
possible it was just a bad rod?

i was told that eagle rods are good upto 1400 horse as long as you change the bolts- anyone know about this???

also what do you guys think about carrillo rods,and the new k1 rods by carrillo????

This is one of them questiosn that will get a lot of answers from what everyone has had good and bad luck with.

Eagle .. I use them and have with no failure at all. I know a lot of motor shops that use nothing but eagle with the L19 rod bolts with 1200-1300hp motors and have did so for years. Manley makes a good rod also ... there is several good choices to this question, to eachs own.
Still have the remainder of your Oliver rods? I'd be interested in taking that junk off your hands.
I've been kicking the idea of selling the few that are left but have decided against it. Last thing I want is to sell them remainders to someone and they break.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Still have the remainder of your Oliver rods? I'd be interested in taking that junk off your hands.[/quote]

I've been kicking the idea of selling the few that are left but have decided against it. Last thing I want is to sell them remainders to someone and they break.[/quote]

If you want to sell them take the 6 rods to any race engine builder that has a wet Magnaflux machine,you will know in a few minutes if there good or not. If that had been done before your engine was assembled you wouldn't have had the problem. Bill
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by billhendren
I've been kicking the idea of selling the few that are left but have decided against it. Last thing I want is to sell them remainders to someone and they break.[/quote]

If you want to sell them take the 6 rods to any race engine builder that has a wet Magnaflux machine,you will know in a few minutes if there good or not. If that had been done before your engine was assembled you wouldn't have had the problem. Bill[/quote]

Bill that was not me who said I had six or said bearing failure if you read back that was someone else. I'd be lucky if I had 4
Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Bill that was not me who said I had six or said bearing failure if you read back that was someone else. I'd be lucky if I had 4
What rod journal? 2.1 or 2.2?

What length?

I'd be happy to give you scrap prices for that junk.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

yea if the buyer knows and understands what happened - the purchase ,and use of the good rods will be on them- with out any bad feelings you know-
have a shop xray them, mag, resize or what ever needs to be done-

youll get some cash back from the bad rod snapping ,
sorry about the bad luck on that rod-
i had a similar problem happen to me on my 3 wheeler- new piston,bore,ect...
not even 1 year of use and kaboom, broke the piston at the wrist pin,broken rod- 3 places, ruined the liner,and broke the cases - (granted your oliver rods were worth more than the trike)-- i still am out
also a ford motor we tore apart ,had a piston let go as well!- there went a new motor--- no not mine but still
Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Still interested in those junk scrap Oliver rods!

One man's junk is another man's gem!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Still interested in those junk scrap Oliver rods!

One man's junk is another man's gem!
I wont sell them, looked them over again there is very few good ones and I dont want to sell them. thanks though