Cold!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Woke up about 3am freezing the heat when't out its 5 degrees out side and 50 in house and dropping. Figures I just got a nice bonus check from work.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:09 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Swiley383
Woke up about 3am freezing the heat when't out its 5 degrees out side and 50 in house and dropping. Figures I just got a nice bonus check from work.
IMO, it was a blessing that you received a bonus right when you would need it. Gotta look on the bright side.

Curtis
Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

True
Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Freezing rain, schools closed all over, wrecks all over. We're getting ours now to catch up with the rest of ya !
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

More bad news I got a call this morning my wife's uncles house was on fire. Whent over there and it was on the ground apart stoped and beat on the door and woke him up he made it out ok thank god. I got back home to wait on the heat people and heard water running walk to the basement and the main supply line coming to the house busted and was flooding the basement. What a day
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

More bad news I got a call this morning my wife's uncles house was on fire. Whent over there and it was on the ground apart stoped and beat on the door and woke him up he made it out ok thank god. I got back home to wait on the heat people and heard water running walk to the basement and the main supply line coming to the house busted and was flooding the basement. What a day
Holy crap!!!

I hope things get better cause I dont think they can get much worse.

On a serious note about the water in the basement, back in 2004 I had a guy that worked for me as a delivery driver, retired cop, I got a call from the PD looking for him on day after lunch. Turns out his basement had flooded, his wife and 18 year old son were trying to get the water out and were standing in about 4" of water. The water hit the bottom of the deep freeze and electrocuted them both. Neighbor found them about 4 hours later.
Just be careful!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Atlanta got hit pretty bad yesterday. Part of the problem was terrible planning by the city and schools.
All decided to close at the same time and did it way to late.
There were some people stuck in traffic jams fro more than 14hrs.
A lot of kids didn't get out of school in time and had to spend the night at school.
It took my cousin 4hrs to get her kids out of school which was only 20miles away and one is a handicapped and in a wheel chair. Talk about be furious if she hadn't have been able to get him.
We had a 25 car pile up on one interstate this morning and many other wrecks on other roads and the other interstate hwy.
We only got about 3 inches of snow but it rained / sleeted for 2hrs before that. It was about 33, 34 today which melted a lot of the snow, but it's suppose to be 16 tonight.

I've had a problem every since I bought this house of my kitchen water line freezing every time it got down around 20 degrees.
I knew that a moron plumber put the water line all the way against the brick and probably didn't have any insulation
around it.
After it's frozen twice this year I figured I'd go ahead and tackle it before it busted. Needless to say I wasn't going to completely remove the entire kitchen counter top, sink, garbage disposal, dry wall, etc, so I cheated and just cut a small access panel out.
Needless to say it was a moron plumber for sure. The cold water line has a T that goes to an outside faucet and the pipe is pulled so tight into the wall there is no room for anything to go around it. They actually already hacked away at the inside of the brick to fit it in there. Not to mention a lot of air comes in through that hole and from somewhere else. I could feel a good draft blowing in this side of my house is well protected from the wind.

I had to use a chisel and hammer and cut a bunch of brick out to get enough room to wrap the line. As you know it's not much fun working under a sink all day much less lying on your back, stomach and side with a hammer and chisel then trying to insulate everything.

It's not pretty but it's done.

How it was

Some of it done. I actually removed every bit of the mortar and brick on the left and cleaned it all up so I could wrap it and get some foam behind it to stop any air from getting in. Whoops, knocked a hole all the way through by the faucet, but at least know I can get it wrapped all the way.

Almost finished and no more draft.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:49 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/1115...ers-icy-roads/
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I found the leak before it cause major damage it must have bust right before I got back. Shut the water off at the road and knocked a whole in the drywall to let the water out so it would not fall on my head while I looked for the leak. I had to take down some drywall from the celling to find the pipe. Now for the heat going to have to replace the whole unit. It was going to cost almost as much to fix this as to replace it. The unit has struggled the last couple of summers so I knew it almost done but was hoping for one more year. Harbone I was concerned about electricity while I was pulling down the drywall. I did not think there were any wires in the area but I did not know for sure. I got the first piece down were I could see what was behind there and all was clear of wires.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Ok, now that is just adding insult to injury. Not a fun day I'm sure. I hope they get your heat back on soon.

Curtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -