(( WARNING )) DYNOFLO ENGINES BAD DEALINGS

Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Engine Builder Liabiliy

A very similar thing happened to me recently. I bought a R/M 565 HP from a friend of mine with 150 runs on it. My engine builder replaced the lifters and springs and i ran it the rest of last year. I had it completly freshened over the off season. I put in in the car, took it to the track to test and on thr first burnout it blew the oil filter down and oiled down the track. When i got back to the pits i took the oil filter off and the adapter was loose, he had put GM factory bolts in and they are to long for a Dart Big M block which has blind holes in it. It dumped over 5 quarts of oil. I called right then, sunday afternoon, to get his opinion on what to do. Even though he built the motor and he put the adapter in he told me i should have checked those bolts. All i wanted to know is what i should do. I always do whatever my engine builder tells me because i am not an engine builder. So i put a lock washer on both of them, changed the oil & filter and made 4 more runs that day. Went back next Sunday and put 5 more runs on it. On the 5th run when it shifted in to high gear it blew up. It had kicked two rods out of the pan, broke the bottom skirts out of 5 & 6, trashed 3 pistons, bent 2 exhaust valves and burnt the S$$T out of 5&6 rod journals. What do you thunk he should have done about it. I am very curiuos what yall think Thanks Don
Old 04-04-2007, 09:50 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

419'the first thing is i hope he isn't you engine builder anymore.then i would pack all the shit up and drive over to his shop throw the shit at his head.how do engine builders sleep at night knowing they suck.it must be the dollar beer night every night in some places.because i couldn't sleep at night know that my shop screw someone's hard earned money out of them.i don't know how to say this any clearer. don't use a shop that doesn't have a dyno and have them include the dyno time in the price.if someone gets a motor from me they get video and dyno sheet and full build sheet with all parts and clearances.i brake the engine in for about 1hr before we make power pulls.
.if something brakes it brakes right in front of me a guess what i have to fix it not the customer.NEVER USE A SHOP WITHOUT A DYNO.NEVER TAKE THE ENGINE OUT OF A SHOP WITHOUT BEING RAN ON THE PUMP.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:10 AM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

Sorry to here for your loss on your 565 Don.
I have a few :?:s
#1 What happened to the original bolts :?:
#2 Did your builder replace your original oil filter adapter with another one :?:
#3 What was your oil pressure before you shut the engine down after it blew the oil filter :?:
#4 Did you receive the engine from the builder with the oil filter on & the motor Primed :?:
#5 Was your engine builder aware of the size difference of the adapter bolts prior to you receiving the engine back from him :?:
#6 If local, Did the engine builder offer to check out the bottom end after it popped the filter or did he tell you it would be fine with the repairs you made:?:
I know its alot of questions but all of them could be important on the final outcome of your delema.
I know it's not the answers you were looking for but it's hard for me to give you a honest answer with out gathering as much info as I can get with out sounding like I'm on a Witch hunt for engine builders due to this nightmare Im dealing with at this time .
Look on the brite side I'll bet your guy diddn't call you uneducated or that you must really suck at being a mechanic like my builder has said about me .
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

On the sheet that comees with a Dart block it tells you the GM bolts are too long. It says the two oil filter adapter attaching bolts should be 1 1/4 (1.250) O.A. length. This will allow 1/2" (.500) of thread into the block. This is SHORTER than the stock Chevrolet bolts. THIS MUST BE ADHERED TO. The engine builder shouldhae noticed this.

Steve
Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 AM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

As you can tell, I'm trying to be very fair with the engine builder.
I purchased this shortblock and all he has to do is PM me to straighten this out & make this go away. He has untill tomorrow night around 7:30 pm becauase that's about the time we first contacted him before we even pulled the engine out of the car. He has all the pics and Im sure he has read all the post,s

SCOTT S. Im giving you a chance here.
If You cant see that Im trying to give you a fair chance then I guess we will have to get the tractor out.

In the mean time can all of the Racing Junk guys give me some ideas of where else to post this & possible assistance.
I have a few already But lets Show Mr Scott S. that he cannot treat people/Customers this way even if he feels superior to them & tries to belittle & trash talk them.

So send me some ideas.

Thanks,
Donn Waters
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

i can post on all the dragways websites.you can go to the nhra and ihra,nmca psca and some others i'm forgeting webs and post his ass there.i go to about 15 tracks a yr and i will spread the word just send me all the e-mails and pics and copy this forum and i will hand them out at the tracks.i love bring down a ass holes that don't stand behide there work.i'm sure with the amount of people that visit this site that it wont take long before you digging deep into there pockets.we have already took down one engine builder here in mich and a chassie guy for the same shit so one more will be fun.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
fast1971chevelle
SHOW GUEST

well evedentally this so called engine builder is a low life piece of shit!!!!!!
it isn't like the motor has had the balls ran off of it, it was mearly started for break in and the damn rods fell out of it!!!!!, i think i know what happened he did torque all the rod bolts but they apparently viberated loose during shipping...damn them fed ex trucks.....lol......if this asshole knows what is good for business he will completely make it right with you, you have been more than fair with him, you have not came on here and told everyone not to buy his products or even mentioned who this idiot is, but i tell you what if he don't make it right with you. you let me know i am a member of almost all of the drag racing sites from California to New York and i will post on all their boards how this person conducts business. now Mr Asshole make right your wrong doing and put in place a quality dept at your little back yard shop.............................................M ike
Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
tweekd
APPRENTICE

Godragracing.com has a lot of listeners.

Good Luck. My engine is alomost done from the builder and now im scared. I'll be checking bolts :wink:
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
tweekd
APPRENTICE

Was this a mail order engine from an Ebay type company or what?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

Well its now 7:34 and I haven't recieved A PM from the builder.
But he did talk to the owner and came to somewhat of a settlement.
However I personally feel the builder is getting the better end of this deal just getting a new block NO RODS, NO CRANK, NO PISTONS. Just a block, but he did say that if we would ship the shortblock back he would rebuild it.
After how he has treated this whole affair that isn't an option. But at least he made the offer for damage control.
The new shortblock will be built at Southern Style Racing Engines.
So the owner of the motor is happy for getting a new block and has full confidence in George Pills the owner of SSRE.

Now for my end of this. I will say I'm sorry to Scott Slotten of Dynoflo for calling him an A$$h&#e over the phone but he was yelling at me at the time.
But Scott, you still had No right to call a customer Uneducated & talk down to me.
Also, I don't really care for the Bashing I took in an email you responded to from a fellow racer.
I can post it if you like Or you Mr Slotten of DynoFlo can appoligize To me.Im extending my hand, the rest is up to You.

Donn Waters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -