Alcohol question

Old 07-23-2015, 07:03 PM
dvrracing
APPRENTICE

That would be nice if a sleeve would fix it. You may be right. It could be cracked in a cylinder below where the rings travel. All the spark plugs look great and all cylinders seem to be hitting strong. I will for sure check the cylinders. Based on the water level in the radiator I think it's below the heads. Something I forgot to mention is when I pulled the intake I had a busted lifter on the #7 intake. The lifters are Lunati high rev pop up roller lifters. After I drained the oil I ran a magnet through the drain hole in the oil pan and retrieved the the roller in several pieces and seven needle bearings. This may explain the miss it had last time at the track although the last couple of passes were the best it's ever ran. But I had made some timing and carb changes as well. The camshaft lobe looked perfect so I don't think this could have caused the problem but I'm not sure. After replacing the lifter and intake and setting the valves I put it back togrther and found I still had the same problem. So I pulled the bottom radiator hose, added oil and hooked everything up and started it for about a minute and it sounded better than it ever has. I'm so frustrated I even thought about selling it and tellin the problem of course but if I did I know I would be kicking my self in the ass afterwards.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:47 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, but you are right. It's hot and humid right now. I live just south of Tulsa. Filling the block now I'm afraid would make the cylinders out of round. I only commented about the dry block with alcohol working for people, but I have to say that I would be pulling this engine and fixing things right. That said it is your engine and you can do as you please. I do understand the frustration and thinking about putting all that work in right now in the heat. Do you run at Tulsa or Nobile?

Curtis
Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 AM
dvrracing
APPRENTICE

I live just outside Blanchard so I usually go to Noble since it is only about 30 miles away. I go to the track in Tulsa once in while but haven't been there in a while. I have a friend who races there and at Centerville named Toby Blaylock with his friend Brian. He runs a 67 black Camaro with a blown alcohol injected motor. I think he's still running a funny car engine he bought off John Force. He's really fast when he makes a good pass. I quit going to Thunder Valley on Friday nights because now they offer drivers a choice as to whether or not they want their times posted and it seems like well over half the times aren't posted which spectators want to see. It seems a lot of the drivers choose not to post times for no apparent reason. That or the forgets to turn it back on. Is Tulsa also doing this on Test N Tune nights?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM
dvrracing
APPRENTICE

I really appreciate everyone's help. I guess I'll start making some room in my shop so I can do it right. Pull the motor and fix or replace whatever is needed. Probably the block. Thanks Guys
Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

As far as I know, Tulsa always has the clocks on during TNT. Nobile does a lot of the fast street car stuff on Fridays though. Good luck with your rebuild, I hope you find something easy although I suspect otherwise.

Curtis