Sellers Beware/ Scam Alert / Offshore Marine Services

Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM
equiplube
SHOW GUEST

Thumbs down Sellers Beware/ Scam Alert / Offshore Marine Services

Seller Beware
I have 2 cars posted for sale for Junior Dragsters. I have reposted them and have had this scam come through twice now. Once in November and again today February 4, 2015 both the exact same email but different name and email address
Someone texts my phone with a message asking if I still have car and then sends email address to correspond with and asks for best bottom dollar. Today, being leery of what happened in the past I answered I have car and my bottom dollar is what is listed in the ad.
I get a long email response (both times are gmail email addresses) Saying the guy is out of town at sea and that OMS Offshore Marine Services Pty Ltd. off shore in Austrailia on Gorgon Project and the car is a surprise gift for his son. He asks for more pictures to be emailed to him and that he can only pay through Paypal and it only takes about 3 minutes to set up a Paypal account and urges me to do so....I don't use Paypal because of an issue in the past. Say he has a pickup Agent that will pick up the car after payment is verified.
The first time I got this same email it was from a Pennsylvania Phone Area Code and this time from Nevada first time guys email was Scott Trail [email protected] and today from a Thomas Mitchell [email protected]. The car is Pink, I guess some boys would be okay with that but plenty of others for sale out there that are not Pink and I don't know how many dad's would buy a pink junior dragster for their son as a surprise; especially never seeing it for himself and saying money is ready to buy today. But, beware of someone saying they can only communicate by email because they are out to sea; urges you to hurry and set up a Paypal account and that they have a pickup agent. THIS IS A SCAM AND YOUR CAR MAY BE GONE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT AND SO IS YOUR MONEY!!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Do you think he is satisfied knowing your email address now that you answered him back, so he can use it to his advantage over there in Nigeria or other rip off country?
Old 03-06-2015, 04:52 AM
deucehibo
APPRENTICE

I had the same thing happen twice. Last time on an engine run stand I had listed for sale on RJ...guy was at sea...same deal on PayPal...was a gift for his son...agent was going to pick it up...I told him great just have the agent bring cash....never heard from him again!!