cooling help

Old 08-10-2014, 01:50 PM
gregbartz
SHOW GUEST

Default cooling help

i changed my 355sbc over to a electric water pump and cooling fan. Now it runs hot. No thermostat trying different size plates to restrict the flow. Fans on toggel switch pulling with a shroud. Ran fine before changing over. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

How much cfm are the fans rated for? If the restrictor plates are not changing anything and you have sufficent airflow I would check for a air pocket in the cooling system. I would also check the pump.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 AM
gregbartz
SHOW GUEST

singel fan rated for 2700cfm. Biggest restrictor got me to stay less than 190. But that might be because outside air temp had dropped just at dusk. How do i check for air pockets? Filled it with pump running and engine off.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

take the cap off and turn on the pump and watch for bubbles. You may have to run engine also and let the coolent heat up just be careful. If it is a air pocket this should get it out and the coolent level will drop once the air is out. Is the 190 temp driving or sitting still? You may also look at making a restrictor plate that is bigger.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 PM
gregbartz
SHOW GUEST

not to many air bubbles. maybe a small one before it spilled over. 190 temp was about max on a 8 to 10 mile drive. Think ill take smalest opening restrictor and drill it out 1/8" bigger than what im running and test again.