not what you would think

Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default not what you would think

I have a problem that I have never had before, a couple of years ago I sold on ebay a 1940 Chevy Sedan Delivery to a guy from Australia. To make a long story short, he paid me, but has never come to pick it up! I have tried to get in touch with him, but his number's have changed. On the other hand, my cell number, and snail mail address haven't changed, but I haven't heard from him in about a year. What can I do to get him to come and get his car!!!!!!!! dgh
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

RESALE IT. TIMES UP....But i would send him a certifed letter, if they have those over there.. he maybe dead
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

So you sold it to him a few years back but have not heard from him in over a year? Was he trying to arrange shipping in that gap between paying and when you last spoke to him?
If you got paid and he has not picked it up in that long of time then its hard to say what you can do legally? Do you still have the title and did you ever send him an actual bill of sale?
You may want to contact a lawyer before making any decision that may come back to haunt you at a later date.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

Default car

#1. get legal advice. #2. Post an ad in his local newspaper (if there is one) with his name and all the details of the deal, if not him maybe family or friends will see it and help clear this up.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Party like its 1999.......
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

All good points that ya'll have suggested. To clear matters up, and set the record straight, I will go back to when I sold it. I sold it thru ebay on Nov. 27, 2011. With in a few days we talked and he asked me to keep it for him till after the first of the year, that he would get someone to pick it up. So, I told him not a problem. I didn't hear from him again, so I called him on his phone, October 3, 2012 and I got an answering machine, so I left a message. On October 12, 2012, he called on my home phone and talked to my wife and said that he paid someone to come and pick up the car, but that they didn't. Sometime before this call, I did receive a phone call from a man that said he worked for the new owner of the 40, and said he would come and pick it up next week, well, next week has never come. Then, on December 2, 2013, I tried to email him, but got a message that basically said that the email could not be delivered. Then, the same day, I called the same number that I had left a message on back in October 2012, this time I got a message that said the number had changed, disconnected, or no longer in service.
It appears that all of the contact numbers and email that I had for him have been changed, or discontinued. However, my cell number hasn't changed, which he had, and my email hasn't changed, which he had, and I still live in the same location. I did have my home number disconnected because we have such great cell service, and didn't want to keep paying for it any longer.
I have asked my post office about certified mail to Australia, but it appears that you can send something to Australia similiar to our certified mail, but that the sender cannot get a signed receipt of the letter sent back to him. Also, when I called Australia, the phone company was charging me $3.88 a minute.
I sold this car to him, and it's been nearly 2 and 1/2 yrs. and he hasn't picked it up. I wish he would come and get it. If not, I'll be forced to charge him a storage fee that will be paid in cash before he can load it up. Failing that, I'll see an attorney and explore my options.
Actually, we are not talking about a high dollar car here. I made it clear in my add of the car's condition, and included pics of it, and that the buyer would be responsible for loading and hauling the car. Also, that the tires have dry rotted and will not hold air. So it will have to be winched up onto a truck or trailer. He asked me to try to find some tires for it to make loading easier. I called a couple of places and those tires are not available locally, and the rims are practically unavailable. And since he didn't send any money for that, I went no further on it.
Hopefully, someone on here will see this and get in touch with him, and he'll send someone soon to get it.

I didn't mean to write a book, but, it's been a long process, and I thought it might help to explain it better, dgh
Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 AM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

humm, that makes it alot clearer, ,,, man thats a strange one, it sure seems like there was someone else on here with the same deal, a few years back ?? it kinda sounds like you have done all you can do, i would check with a lawyer, but on the other hand, i say time is up, Resale it,, and if he shows up in a few years, just refund him.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

It's actually not the uncommon to happen. A friend of mine sold a car to a guy like this. Some guy came to his house with 2 fully armed body guards and bought his car. It was a high dollar car and bought with cash. The guy left it there for a long time then had it hauled to a transmission shop in Fl. where it sat for about 2 or 3 years before it finally was picked up and shipped.

I'd asked a lawyer, but I'm sure there is a certain amount of time they have to pick it up.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I'll do what nearly everyone has suggested, see a lawyer and go from there.
In Georgia, vehicles so many years old, no title is required. I'm not sure how old they must be, but I'm sure my 40 doesn't have to have a title.
Again, thanks to everyone that replied. dgh
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 AM
ajk
DYNO OPERATOR

Party's cancelled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -