Thread: wilwood residual valves

Member CRAFTSMAN

wilwood residual valves

i have a tube chassis door car with floor a mounted master. 4 wheel disc brakes and i have two blue 2# valves one front and one back. my partners new car he just picked up has the same breaking set up. but his car has a red(drum brake) one for his front discs? his pedal feels a lot firmer than mine. cars where both just had power bleeding done? is this something i dont know about running red valves to the front discs? thanks mike

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    red is for drum (more pressure)
    blue is for rotor style brakes

Dont want to mix the two.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

wilwood

Blue = 2 # residual pressure.

Red = 10# residual pressure

Member CRAFTSMAN
    after more looking i see that we have way diffrent brake pedal ratios. mine is closer to the piviot point

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Blog Entries
    It also can be the master cylinder piston size. I smaller master cyl. piston can give better pedal feel. I went from 1 1/18" to a 1" master on my all wheel disc brake system, and the brake feel was much better, and the car stops better as well. That is because of the higher line pressure.

I do not use a residual valve. My master cylinder is wheel height. I do not want the drag, and I do not need to pump the pedal.

Jack

Be sure to mount your reservoirs high if you have floor level master cylinders, then you will not need residual valves. This makes things very easy to bleed the brakes too as the air goes to the reservoir rather than the brake cylinder which would be higher if the reservoir is at floor level.