Thread: 496 stroker motor

Junior Member APPRENTICE

496 stroker motor

I am finishing up a 496 Chevy motor and wondering where to start with the timing. I have MSD ignition, dist, and rev limiter. Dart pro 1 aluminum heads 10.5:1 with matching single plane intake. With a fast efi 2.0 kit. I've never built something like this so not sure about my initial and centerfugal curves. My application is off road and street in 4x4 40" tires.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    I'd start at about 32* total and tune from there. Likely will end up in the 34-38* range total, but every engine is different. Initial should be about 12-18 depending on how much advance your distributor has available in mechanical and vacuum if equipped....
    Mark Goulette
    Owner/Driver of the Livin' the Dream dragster
    www.livinthedreamracing.com
    Speed kills, but it's better than going slow!!!!

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Thanks. That'll give me a place to start.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Seems like coloradoracerguy nailed it. I run a 496 drag car only and mine runs best at 36 degrees. I have locked distributor with a 20 degree retard box for easier starting. But it still starts easier if I hit the starter first to get it cranking and then turn the fire on. Good luck