Power/Heat bills

Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by curtisreed
Originally Posted by zipper06
Curtis i know what you mean about propane, i hate those A-holes, my house in Ms. in on propane, and i ahven't been up there since sept. 30, evause i'm setting on a 250 gal tank that's empty and i can't heat 1840 sq ft with an electric heater in this kind of weather. I'm going to go to all electric if i get the chance both here in La. and in Ms.

Zip.

Yeah Zip, mine is a 300 gallon tank but I never let it get below 50% because of the amount to refill. 2150 sq feet here. We use some electric oil filled heaters in the house to supplement when it is really cold. Just bought this house a couple years ago and have been working to get it more energy efficient, 100 gallons a month isn't cutting it. It's a crawl space house and I had the underneath shot with expanding foam. That helped quite a bit.

Got spoiled with the mild winter last couple years and the cheap gas prices.

Curtis
Hey Curtis, do you by chance have a Tractor Supply store near you? The reason i ask is that they fill propane bottles cheap, i know you can buy a 100 gal/pound tank from Lowes for $127.00, and in Batesville Tractor Supply will fill any tank that you bring in for about $1.75 per gal, i know several people who are doing this. That's what the price was in late 2013.
I have a rented tank, and the people that it's rented from wanted $2.75 per gal. so i didn't put any into the tank. The only reason that i'm out is becase i rented the place to a friend of a friend and he screwed me over leaving a light bill and water bill, plus he burned up all the propane that i had (over 100 gal) and skipped town, screwing me over.

Anyway just food for thought, because winter is not over for you or me.

Zip.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Zip, I have a tractor supply 3 miles from the house. I will check into that. Thanks.

Curtis
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 AM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default power/heat bills

I know you've all heard and done this before, that is spraying expanding foam into cracks. But, if you have a crawl space, or an attic, go into those areas after dark, first turning on ALL the lights inside the house. You'll be surprised at how much light you'll be able to see. When you inspect an area for light, after your first look, go a few feet and turn around and look again, often you'll see light that you couldn't see before. Fill those spots with expanding foam.
When using the expanding foam spray can in the crawl space you'll need a small diameter hose to put over the supplied straw from the can. That way you'll be better able to get to the small holes and cracks that are in very awkward to get to places.
Hope this helps you. dgh
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Glad I locked in my propane price last summer for the year.
I have a great fire place made by Country Flame that has 2 blowers built in and blows the heated air back through my houses furnace vents.
I can burn a fire all weekend and never have my furnace kick on once.
I have mountains of firewood stacked and covered out back. Clear out a few trees, cut and split every Spring.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Those oil filled space heaters are bigtime power suckers. A few years back I lived in a really small cabin with electric heat wall unit. Bought one of those oil filled jobs, didn't use the wall unit for one month, and my electric bill was almost twice what just the wall unit was. And it was a mild winter that year....
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Well im gonna embrace winter in feb wife/I going to lake morey big gun shootout ice sled drags for weekend...Just ordered my duck dynasty long undies.... 2 pair for weekend. 2/21-23...hopefully 2 more big bills. And all of us will be outta the woods.Weather channel said another artic blast is comin....but still cant wait for spring