Need Help on the best class to run

Old 12-29-2013, 03:24 PM
ajm4615
SHOW GUEST

Default Need Help on the best class to run

Im having a hard time trying to choose a class to run with my new car in and what I should do with it. Im licensed in S/C, S/G, & E.T. I jut finished a T/S corvette with a 572 big chief & power glide. The car is estimated to run high 7's- 8.0. Do I slow it down and run S/C? Is there a better class for me here I don't know about? Do I add something to go faster? I don't have a delay box or throttle stop yet but I do have a crosstalk running. Im not really wanting to run T/S just yet. Id like to get more seat time before I add a blower.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
AJ
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Need Help on the best class to run

Originally Posted by ajm4615
Im having a hard time trying to choose a class to run with my new car in and what I should do with it. Im licensed in S/C, S/G, & E.T. I jut finished a T/S corvette with a 572 big chief & power glide. The car is estimated to run high 7's- 8.0. Do I slow it down and run S/C? Is there a better class for me here I don't know about? Do I add something to go faster? I don't have a delay box or throttle stop yet but I do have a crosstalk running. Im not really wanting to run T/S just yet. Id like to get more seat time before I add a blower.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
AJ
Here are a few thoughts. One, what does the bold statement mean? Crosstalk is just the way the tree works in bracket mode. You either cross over or you don't with your delay box.

S/C and S/G are both index classes, T/S is a fast bracket race. If you are going to ultimately run T/S then you need to get some experience bracket racing. You will probably need a delay box no matter which class you decide to run. Most Super class cars will go red, even on a pro tree and are set up to yank the front straight up out of the beams, then on the stop. A T/S car will drive out of the beams. Way different chassis set ups and you will have to have a delay box because it is a sportsman tree.

If you do index race, then I would suggest S/G. You would have good MPH and not have to race 180MPH dragsters that you will have a really hard time seeing out of that Vette.

I say do what you said at the end. Get as much seat time bracket racing as you can before you step it up with a blower. Learn to drive the stripe and get comfortable in the car, then strap the huffer on and go balls out. You don't need to be trying to sort out a fast car and learn to drive it at the same time.

JMHO though.

Curtis
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Need Help on the best class to run

Originally Posted by curtisreed
Get as much seat time bracket racing as you can.... Learn to drive the stripe and get comfortable in the car.... You don't need to be trying to sort out a fast car and learn to drive it at the same time.
Curtis

X2
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
ajm4615
SHOW GUEST

Curtis, Thanks for the advice. I agree completely with you. I'm not sure why that one line came out in bold. What I was trying to say is the crosstalk I have isn't set up for a delay yet. There are no other components added yet to the delay box that will make the car slow between T1 & T2. I will need to add the throttle stop. I don't want to drive T/S yet. Seat time and the line is most important. Your right there. I just didn't know if there was anything else out there besides S/G & S/C. I heard something about Quick 8 or 16 but am I fast enough for that? It sounds like my original thoughts were correct at S/C & S/G. I know it will be hard to see over the scoop running S/C, but I'll have to do it in S/G also. Why wouldn't I just run S/C?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

You misunderstood what I meant. I made the sentence bold so you would know what I was asking about. Crosstalk just means that both top bulbs on the tree light at the same time, when it is a sportsman tree. After the head start time of the slower car expires the faster car's tree then starts down like normal.

If I read right you are saying the delay box you have won't cross over? In other words you aren't able to use crosstalk?

Whether you are able to run the quick 8 or 16 races just depends on where you race. Some places are much faster than others. Some have quick door car only races.

As far as what I said about having a hard time seeing in S/C, it's not the scoop I was talking about. Most dragsters are going to be running much more time on the stop than you so they will be coming from behind you. Don't get me wrong, it can be done but I just meant you should have more races in S/G that will be in front of you.

I think the quick races would be much better practice if T/S is your ultimate goal though.

Curtis