Jesel Belt Drive Stretch?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Default Jesel Belt Drive Stretch?

I'm looking at installing one on my 383 but before I do I'd like to know, is belt stretch a problem with these?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Nope not in my experience, they are one of the best if not the best belt drives on the market, i've used them several times and they are American made. The best thing about them is they have 4 bolts holding the drive together unlike Comp Cams 3 bolt setup.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks. I was also told you have to advance the cam to compensate for said belt stretch but if there is no stretch...?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I can't say this happens in all applications, but on the pro mod I used to work on we had to advance the cam approx 2* farther than our desired setting because we were getting that much stretch out of the belt. Keep in mind though, this was also a blower motor with 60+ lbs. of boost....

My preference is a Milodon or Milodon style gear drive. And no, most of the bs about harmonics you hear is just that, bs.....
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I've been running a Jesel belt drive for years and never had any problems with it. The only problems I've ever seen are rocks or mud getting in the belt and taking the belt off. When that happens it's major damage to the valve train and usually the heads and pistons too.
That's not much of a problem for guys that are on the road, but I would never run a belt drive without a cover. Jesel makes covers for small blocks, but not for big blocks. However, my motor builder has made some really nice billet covers for big block Chevy's.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Personally, I feel the design of the Comp Cam Magnum or the Danny Bee Drive is better than the Jesel.
Both use an idler which I think is very important to limit stretch.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Not bein' a wiseass here, but with or without idler, if a belt stretches, your timing changes . . So the best bet, every year, is to put a new belt on. Especially if you're running a lot of open valve spring pressure and short ratio rockers . .

On our car, we have no idea of how old the Jesel drive is, could be 5 years, could be ten, dunno, it was on the engine when Doug bought the car, but we recently had to replace the gear with the guide plate on it because the spot welds gave out and all that was keeping the belt on was the pointer . .

But, for the last three years of competition, we've changed the belt every year and had no problems with timing or other timing related problems . .

Just my nickel's worth . .
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

[quote="roadkill2"]Not bein' a wiseass here, but with or without idler, if a belt stretches, your timing changes . . So the best bet, every year, is to put a new belt on. Especially if you're running a lot of open valve spring pressure and short ratio rockers . . [quote]

No problem. I just want to point out that there are two ways the belt will wear.
1. The stretch from "pulling" the camshaft
2. The stretch from the "sling effect" on the back side.

I just think the idler is insurance...