Really the most fun I have had in years

Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Default Really the most fun I have had in years

For a long time I always thought that chasing big buck races in drag racing was the way to go. This year I realized I was dead wrong. I have been helping with a local track doing some scheduling and promotion for them along with being a part of the Sunday program in the lanes helping keep track of cars. I have really got to meet some of the nicest folks and have a new appreciation for grass roots racing.

We don't operate on the sport's largest budget and I know there are tracks out there doing it on less than us as well. Up until last year the facility didn't even have scoreboards or visible win lights. The racers volunteer a lot of time in helping the track from cutting grass to handing out fliers and never ask for a thing in return. If it wasn't for them some days, the staff would be overwhelmed. There is not any drama between racers and everyone respects the track rules. It amazed me the 1st weekend when they called a class to the lanes and only had to do so once. It's not the best surface in the world and the pits aren't perfect but traction is good and the concession stand food is homemade for the most part. LOL

Hope everyone has been doing well this summer and has had as much fun as I have had being out at the track.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like you are having fun, isnt that what its all supposed to be about?
I wish there was a local track near me, everything is an hour plus drive.
I have spent some quality time at the track in Havana in the past, small town track and everybody there is just super polite. If someone breaks, everyone pitches in to help out anyway they can. If somebody pukes parts or fluid on the track, everybody grabs rags and brooms and heads out to help with the cleanup.
I really do miss drag racing, just dont miss the expense... :cry:

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

there are 2 tracks not far from me. each in the opposite direction from each other. but I wont race there. more drama at them than you can find anywhere.and theres more money on the street. not like the fast and stupid crowd. but more like a.g. Ive done it that way for over 30 yrs.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

If you guys get a chance, check it out at Dragwayofmagnolia.com
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Really the most fun I have had in years

Originally Posted by shawnp
For a long time I always thought that chasing big buck races in drag racing was the way to go. This year I realized I was dead wrong. I have been helping with a local track doing some scheduling and promotion for them along with being a part of the Sunday program in the lanes helping keep track of cars. I have really got to meet some of the nicest folks and have a new appreciation for grass roots racing.

We don't operate on the sport's largest budget and I know there are tracks out there doing it on less than us as well. Up until last year the facility didn't even have scoreboards or visible win lights. The racers volunteer a lot of time in helping the track from cutting grass to handing out fliers and never ask for a thing in return. If it wasn't for them some days, the staff would be overwhelmed. There is not any drama between racers and everyone respects the track rules. It amazed me the 1st weekend when they called a class to the lanes and only had to do so once. It's not the best surface in the world and the pits aren't perfect but traction is good and the concession stand food is homemade for the most part. LOL

Hope everyone has been doing well this summer and has had as much fun as I have had being out at the track.
So good to hear Shawn...nothing like grass roots racing..what you mentioned is the reason I fell in love with Drag Racing..from the time I was 15 yrs old sneaking over to run Thanksgiving Turkey Trott races fast forward 32 yrs 10k 10.5 Outlaw races the fans and the racers are the best...Keep in mind if you have a car and racing for sure..take the time to speak to the fans...what you might think is a hassel to answer a few questions ( no matter how dumb you think the question is ) you never know who's day you made..I was running in a Big NMCA race in Atlanta..A family walked up to my car..Wife,husband and two young boys..you could tell they just got by. I noticed them looking at my car owwwing and ahhhing..They ask me for my autograph..Hell I was a Nobody..but to them I was the CHIT..I made a special effort for them to take pics in the car and topped it off with giving them food tickets for some hot dogs...told them it was on the sponsor...lol there was no sponsor..we bought those tickets but wanted them to feel a part of it all. That feeling I got for taking time with that family is priceless..No better feeling than to make somone feel speacial and apart of it all. I truly believe most racers have this inside..by reading Shawns post is a reminder of why I love this sport and what it stands for.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Nothing like that feeling of "going home" or remembering where / how you started.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I rember that from when I was a kid I try to talk to anybody who wants to know somthing or look at the car. My car is not that fast or the best looking but I think it relates to people. I tell the ones interested in getting started in drag racing you don't have to have a 30k car to play around with and let them know about the street legal class or braket classes were you can run anything. I tell them I started in the street class and its cheap and to just pull in the lanes and have fun.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like the race tracks of the 60's. Too bad all tracks don't have that attitude towards racers. Good to hear the info.