MSD 6a box?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default MSD 6a box?

I noticed my msd box has started leaking a oil type fluid..I spoke to a rep for MSD he only said to send it back for repairs at a cost..The rep would not mention what could had caused this kind of failure...Anyone else had a MSD box leak fluid?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Really the only thing it can be is the epoxy holding things together coming apart and melting in the heat.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Really the only thing it can be is the epoxy holding things together coming apart and melting in the heat.
Thanks Hammer...I am more mechanical on engines electrical is not my thing..Should I run the box or just send it back to MSD and have them take a look at it?Engine runs fine I just dont want to have a failure at the track..

Thanks for your reply...
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Eventually it will fail, so when you get a few weeks down time you might send it in.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:37 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I'm surprised MSD didn't tell you to check the ground first!! lol
That's about the only thing I ever got out of one of their tech guys.

I had gotten so aggravated with their tech help if there would have been anything comparable on the market I would have switched to a different ignition. Against their advice and them checking my box twice I bought a new box and my problem was solved.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

I run MSD 6AL on all my dirt modified cars... partially because we have a 7800 chip rule, and the MSD chip is what most tracks and racers use.

A few years ago I overheard a conversation debate in the pits at the El Paso Speedway TX, hometown of MSD electronics, that MSD had "sold out and everything has turned to shit over there"... "the quality control has gone to hell, the people are rude, you aren't going to get any help any longer..."

I had previously heard several times before that "you could send your stuff back to them and they would fix it for free"...? I'm sure that is within reason, and/or a warranty situation...? or maybe sponsorship...?
Since that time I have heard guys switching to different ignition brands because they "don't trust" MSD anymore...?

MSD sets up a booth at the USMTS Modified Fall Nationals at Southern NM Speedway in Las Cruces NM, and their information to me about their products new and old was ok...? nothing great, but about what you could expect from a show booth...?

Out of five 6al boxes, I have had only one failure, but it was an old tired box beat around on dirt track abuse several years...

Can anyone else confirm or dispel the MSD buyout changeover...? maybe four or so years ago...???
Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
A few years ago I overheard a conversation debate in the pits at the El Paso Speedway TX, hometown of MSD electronics, that MSD had "sold out and everything has turned to s over there"... "the quality control has gone to hell, the people are rude, you aren't going to get any help any longer..."

I had previously heard several times before that "you could send your stuff back to them and they would fix it for free"...? Since that time I have heard guys switching to different ignition brands because they "don't trust" MSD anymore...?

Can anyone else confirm or dispel the MSD buyout changeover...? maybe four or so years ago...???
Hmmmm, El Paso right there on the boarder with Mexico. Where do you think they are assembling and testing their stuff now?? :shock: