Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Advice On Valves?

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

Any Advice On Valves?

SBC with a solid roller, I'll be using a double valve spring setup that will have 200# of seat pressure and I need to order some .100 long valves as my stock length valves won't get me the installed height I need for the springs. For price comparison I've looked at some of the cheaper valves on Ebay but noticed one of them recommends a spring with no more seat pressure than 140#. Never having used a spring with this much pressure I've never thought of the pressure it puts on the valve itself so....what's your thoughts on the valves I need?

And which seal would you also recommend?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    You did not give an indication as to your induction, so I'll show you Manley valves with a reccomendation based on exhaust temperature:

Race Master series = 900 to 1225 degrees
    Severe Duty series = 1150 to 1375 degrees
    Extreme Duty series = 1250 to 1500 degrees
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    any advice on valves? well lets see.....yes you need them lol sorry couldn't help it. im kinda funny that way....lol

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    LOLOL ! Outlaw's on his happy pills !
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

As oldandtired said, Manely severe duty unless it will be blown or turbo charged, then it's extreme duty in that case.
    The severe duty can handle 300 lbs spring pressure. With 10 degree keepers

Zip.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Any advise

I always buy head castings bare so I can put in good components. The head manufacturers mostly use import valves and only average quality springs to sell their packages cheaper on the market.

I use Manley Severe Duty stainless valves only.

For Titanium valves I use Victory over Manley in blower applications. Had some valve failures which stopped with the change to Victory. (Heads and tips broke off)

As far as springs I use Manley NEXTEK mostly but PAC is made from KOBE steel which is a cleaner material and is better quality wise compared to Manley steel. PSI is also better than Manley. PAC and PSI are manufacturers and Manley buys theirs from Superior Spring from an Erson design. (Correct me on this if I am off a little.)

Victory sells PAC springs, high quality retainers and keepers. I buy the whole package from them if I use Titanium valves.

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    Thanks guys, any any experiences with Ferrea 6000 series valves? In addition to the info I gave above, it's a 383 with an estimated 10:1 compression, Aluminum heads, carb and an occasional spray but not a steady diet.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

any advise

Ferrea 6000 is their best valve. But it is not made with American stainless steel material. I think it is Italian or Israili made.

As soon as you think Nitrous you should think MANLEY. The cycle life of the extreme duty Manley exhaust valve is many times more than any import valve because of the quality of the material.

Yes the 6000 is $10 a valve and the Manley is $20 a valve but the engine is many $$$$. Go save $160 somewhere else than on your valves.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    Another general rule of thumb:
    For high HP engines (NOS / blown / turbo), go back to stock size valve stems. They will take more abuse than skinny / cut back ones and (EX) transfer heat back to the head better.
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: any advise

Quote Originally Posted by markdunlap

Yes the 6000 is $10 a valve and the Manley is $20 a valve but the engine is many $$$$. Go save $160 somewhere else than on your valves.
    very wise words
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

11. Racing Junk