New Husky

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default New Husky

Little off the beaten path...but I bought a 455 Husky Chainsaw 20 inch Bar from Tractor Supply this weekend...AWESOME saw...Cut down Huge Tree this weekend... Red Oak 100ft tall , huge base and trunk.......Anyone got any secrets in keeping your chain the sharpest...everytime I go to sharpen I seem NOT to help the cause...lol.
In the past I have bought the Homelite Saws from Home depot never lasted long when I had to use for Bigger jobs...This Husky is a lot heavier and it worked me good in the shoulders
Oh by the way it was 6 months same as cash on the Tractor Supply card......they threw in $50.00 carrying case.......YES !!!!!!!

Anyone else on their favorite chain saws...

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

i got my dads old trusty 056 stihl ... best saw they ever built! guys are always trying to buy it from me or trade me their 086's for it... came with like a 20" bar but i got a 48 inch bar on it now and it eats like a 400 pound starving beaver. just use a good bar oil and keep it out of the dirt and the chain will last a while. i will take a pic of it and post it up :wink:
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

keep it out of the dirt, nothing kills a blade faster than getting close to the ground and touching ground....keep the oiler full...I take my chains to a local shop that has a machine that sharpens them, pretty cheap and does a great job, I tried to do my own free hand, I suck at it!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

I have a stihl 039 18" and a stihl MS 260 pro 20".
My wife has a stihl 025 16"
We only use pro chains (chains without the kick back links) they make it much easier to cut up stuff :P
Not sure if tractor supply, lowes, and home depot can sell the pro chains because of consumer safety issues, but you can get them for your saw at a lawn equipment store. I (like MEMRACING), also take my chains and have them sharpened. If you don't get the depth ,pitch and all that right, you are doing more damage than good. They only charge 7 bucks to sharpen a chain and it is as good as new!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Pioneer Partner P45 . 4.5 cubes of grunt. 36" bar with skip chain. Will flat suck you into and THROUGH that saw cut if you're sleepin' ! Got scars ta prove it ! I always file my own chains, take 3-4 with me for quick change in the woods.
Back in the early 80's I firewooded for a living for 3 1/2 years. 350-400 cord in a 4 month cutting season. No wonder I hurt like hellions in the morning !
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Hey B i bought my own sharpener from Harbor Frieght. $39.00 bucks, it's a little vise mount, runs on 110 volt. Easy to setup sharpens nice and even cuts nice and straight when done. Sharpen 6 chains and its paid for itself the way I look at it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Don't over sharpen it. It doesn't take much to put a good edge back on it. Just a few strokes with the right size file and your back to new,
And like already said, keep it out of the dirt!.

I liked to have 2 or 3 cheaper saws than one really nice on. That way I have 2 or 3 ready to go and by the time I need to sharpen all the blades I'm ready for a break! lol

I use to cut a lot of trees and the smaller lighter saws weren't so hard on my little azz! lol

Good thing for me is I'll be coming your way in a few weeks to see just how good the freshly cut fire wood feels!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

VEERY kool chainsaw site, TONS of info and antique saws ! It took MEN to use these monsters ! ;

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.ns...9?OpenDocument
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

my son took in a stihl saw that was used back in the day. man i couldnt pick it up and hold it by myself!! and it had the longest bar ive ever seen on a saw.that thing had to have had atleast a 5 ft bar.well mybe a 4 ft but it was super big and it was super heavy.took 2 men to hold it.!!!oh yeah. keep them out of the dirt and knots and they will stay sharper longer.and watch for things that have grown into the trees. i once hit a fence wire that wasnt visible until i caught it with the chain. the saw flew out of my hands and hit the tree then the ground.and i didnt stop runnin backwards for AWHILE!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I was cutting a railroad tie off one day when the saw started bucking and sparking. Found out I was cutting thru gravel. Only later did I discover how they are installed on the tracks!! :roll:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -