Thread: Pontiac x body build up all pontiac 400ci thoughts ?

Pontiac x body build up all pontiac 400ci thoughts ?

I am going to be building the pontiac 400ci up that is in the 73 ventura that was a bad ass race car at one time with a transbreak 400 trans manual reverse valve body with a 2800 stall convertor connected to a 9" ford with 4.10 gear and 3 link with adjustable coil overs .The car went low 10's (I was told) with a stroker motor .Now I am looking at the motor that is in the car now that I recieved it with - pontiac 1970 400ci / #17 casting heads / the race style (a stahl bolt pattern) headers 2" primary 3.5" slip on collector (too big I know, but came with the car ) edelbrock performer intake connected to a proform 650 carb .This combo feels like 14's or even slower when your driving it , so if I take it out I would like to go into the direction of more power for street strip application . In the past had sbc strokers that ran low to mid 11's in street strip cars and trucks ,but wanting to keep the pontiac all pontiac - any ideas for power from stock items that are able to be done on the dreaded budget will be helpfull , I have noticed buying the aftermarket aliminum heads will be a obvious help - so if tax refund is able that may be the last thing to get purchased .Of course those pontiac strokers put out some awsome #'s too .Thanks for input I have experienced pontiac builds in the past and they can get tricky even with a poor head choice can kill your compression down to 7.5 to 1 : no power there ! http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

pontiac build

Jan 99 Hot Rod mag. put together a 455 pontiac 529HP 558ftlbs $4000. dyno proven.It can be found under (Pontiac 455 engine buildup-alternative engine build)

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    link no worky....
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

link to the 73 pontiac ventura

http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow .sorry about the link here is the slideshow one .Thank you for the interest .

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    try dick miller racing 662-233-2301 reading an ad about an offset ground 455 crank in a 425 olds that uses 7.0 inch bbc rods 10.33:1CR 230/236 at 0.050 0.522/0.522 cam 30 over 488CID made over 500HP and 600FTLBS.Sorry i'm not an engine builder.PS nice ride! tired of seeing nova's.