Purchase problem CNC Bow Tie block from AIRVEGAS

Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

Default Purchase problem CNC Bow Tie block from AIRVEGAS

Here is the story

I purchased a unused CNC Bow Tie block here on RJ. The seller says it was assembled but never used. After shipping the block across the country I get the block and notice that what should be nice smooth cnc machining is all shot blasted including the deck and main registers. The main bore has a fresh line hone. The bore has a fresh hone and is 4.155 as advertised. There is very slight scoring two of the cylinders. Three of the lifter bores have heavy galling. The main caps have been walking and are fretted. Obviously this block has been used.
Here is my opinion what the block needs:

* Bore all lifters to .904 or sleeve the 3 damaged bore.

* resurface the main registers, main caps and line hone

* Repair damaged threads in one oil passage.

The seller say he will refund the purchase price but not the shipping. The shipping is $220 each way.

What would you do?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

#1 main cap
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

# 6 lifter bores
Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

another option imo is check cost of repairs and have seller pay the bill/refund you the difference if both could agree
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

I checked on the cost to repair the block.

machine main caps, main registers in the block and line hone $450-500
cut lifter bores to .904 $550

The machine shop said that the deck should be cut too since it was shot blasted and had too rough of a surface texture. I did not get a price on decking.

I had an interesting phone conversation with the seller yesterday. He said he can not receive my emails because hotmail blocks all gmail messages. Yet I send emails to hotmail adressess often without any issue. I texted the photos and he says he can't see anything on the 1" screen on his phone. I asked for my money back and shipping cost. he said no. He insists this block is unused. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say. The conversation ended when he told me to sue him and to go F*** my self and hung up.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

does he have a name?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

if you are sure he will give ya a refund. if you ship it back. i would pay the shipping to get it back to him, and get my money back.. and feel lucky.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bigray
if you are sure he will give ya a refund. if you ship it back. i would pay the shipping to get it back to him, and get my money back.. and feel lucky.
it will suck if he ships it back ands ends up with the block and your cash
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM
pl8264
SHOW GUEST

[quote= it will suck if he ships it back ands ends up with the block and your cash [/quote]

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I could end up with no block or money if I sent it back.

I dropped the block at the machine shop last week to have the block and cap magnafluxed. I just got the results back and thankfully there are no cracks. If there were cracks I was going to send it back since the block would be unusable.

I have decided to have the block repaired.

Here is the machine shop list so far.

*Re-cut the main caps and cap registers on the block.
*Line hone the mains
*Bore the lifters to.904.
*Repair the threads in a striped out dry sump port at the back of the block
*Deck the block

I should have followed my gut instinct on this purchase. I knew something was wrong and I should have listened to my gut. I was going through a tough time with a death in the family I didn't pay enough attention to this deal. Expensive lesson for me.

Out of the all the transactions I have had here on Racing Junk (probably close to 100 over 9 years) this has been the only negative experience I have had. This is still the best place for buying and selling cars and parts.