Indy

Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default Indy

Well, I have a prediction.
Because John Force Racing owns NHRA, Graham Light WILL postpone activities until next weekend, allowing Robert Height to get another shot at qualifing.
Any body wanna bet?????????????????????????????????????? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Rain has forced NHRA officials to postpone the 58th annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals presented by Auto-Plus at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis.Elimination rounds were scheduled for Monday.

The event is now scheduled to resume Sept. 8-9.

“The persistent weather has affected the racing surface and we have chosen to make the tough decision to postpone the race until next weekend,” said Graham Light, NHRA senior vice president racing operations. “We are planning to run the remainder of the event next weekend on Saturday and Sunday."

NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing categories--Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle--qualifying will reopen with two sessions on Saturday, Sept. 8, with eliminations will be on Sunday, Sept. 9.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz25Q3lHy00

Enough said?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a total washout yesterday and this morning it was still raining at 9am. Saturday night they shutdown about 9:00 or so cause the dew was all over the track. Kinda sucked but we had a good time at the campground Sunday while it rained all day. Looks like I am heading back next weekend.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Well, based on what we know, EVERYBODY had two more passes (or "Hits') coming . . If that's giving someone an edge, dunno who it would be . . Cruz needs another pass or two, and a couple of other guys who generally qualify well should get another shot.

And while I don't want to start a pissing match or anything like that, I have to say, Force, Kalitta and Schumacher have done a lot for pro nitro racing, both in development and safety. But they also have done a lot for themselves, which some might view as negative.

I know Force, and can say that he loves what he does . . The old (not as old as me) SoB lives and breathes Nitro Funny Cars. Now, whether he "Owns" NHRA or not, I'll leave to others . . But, if you don't like Force, it's gonna be one of those things that just pisses you off for a long time to come, because he'll probably be putting his grandkids in Funny Cars when they get old enough . . Not that I care . .

A comment gained from observation, NHRA apparently doesn't know anywhere near as much as the crew at Bandimere's about track prep because watching qualifying on Friday night, I have to say, the track surface at least to the 660' was "Junk" . . At least for the high HP guys . . Lots of slick "Spots" and uneven lanes. The "Groove" was all over the place and non existent in some spots . . Pedregon's little mishap with the wall was a good example. Even the Pro Stock people were having trouble with tire spin in places they shouldn't . .

Dew, Rain or just "heavy Air" might have been the problem too, but in either case, NHRA was defying fate when they let those cars run on that shaky of a surface . . just asking for a disaster!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I hear what everybody is saying, but many,many events have been run with three Q passes. The field was set for a Monday final. Calling Monday a wash and giving the non qualifiers a buy back changes everything.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

I dunno what the rules are on this. The nitro cars were supposed to have 5 hits . . they got three.

IF . . Light said the field is set, then it's set. If they said they'd get two more passes before they run next week, then the field should be left open to the entire group of qualifiers. And, if they allow three passes, then it should still be an open field . .

I can say this about me, and me only. IF . . a race gets re-scheduled until the next week, and there's no passes allowed, I wouldn't show up . . Even if you only got one pass, I'd weigh the need to show up very carefully . .

Unless it was my home track and I knew the tune up pretty well . .
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

From NHRA today . . .
In addition to crowning event champs, week two of the 58th annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals presented by Auto-Plus will settle what rain-drenched week one could not: the establishment of the 10-racer fields for the Countdown to the Championship playoffs. With just the one race left, four drivers in Top Fuel, six in Funny Car, and eight each in Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle still have mathematical chances to lock up the few remaining spots.
And then . .
In Funny Car, Courtney Force, the provisional No. 1 qualifier, earned enough bonus points during week one to clinch her spot, one of six finalized. She’s locked in with Ron Capps, Robert Hight, Jack Beckman, Johnny Gray, and Mike Neff. Cruz Pedregon will instantly have the seventh spot if he qualifies for the field, but that might be a big if because he’s not currently in the show. John Force, Jeff Arend, and Bob Tasca III hold the final three spots, but reigning world champ Matt Hagan is less than a round behind Tasca and just 32 behind Arend, and Tim Wilkerson is just seven points back of Hagan. John Force could clinch by qualifying depending on his qualifying position and/or bonus points versus Hagan’s qualifying position and/or bonus points.

Based on that, the field is not "Fixed" . . Dunno if it's "Right" or not, but that's NHRA's Announcement.