steering gear box ????

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
clwarters
SHOW GUEST

Default steering gear box ????

68 camaro z28
ineed to replace my steering gear box but i dont know which one. i have replaced upper,lower ball joints, tire rod ends,a-frame bushing, center drag lenght,ect. i thought about a rack system till i read the the headers, large oil pan ect.need to be alterd, but now the gear ratio ? 12:1.is greek to me verse the stock gear box. what do i need whith out alot extra work
thanks, charles
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Charles are do you have a manual or power steering gear?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Charles, we also need to know what the application is for...?

Is this on a drag car or a dirt track car?
If a dirt car, and you are going to use a 2:1 quick steer, 12:1 box is fine, that makes it 6:1 steering.

On a drag car, the 12:1 might be ok...?

You also need to make sure which input shaft you have... a 3/4" or a 13/16" shaft...!

Don't make a mistake like I did and buy a high dollar box and find out it is the wrong shaft. If you need a 13/16" shaft I will sell you a really nice 12:1 Sweet box cheap, cheap, cheap... I cannot use it on my dirt modified steering system.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
clwarters
SHOW GUEST

Default 68 camaro steering

thanks, its a car that i drive to car shows, it now has a power steering gear box but seems like when i turn the least little bit and turn back strait the steering seems to want to almost want to go a little extra ,Just enough to freek me out a little lol, not real bad but not the way a chev should feel . as you can see i have already replaced everything else and want to replace the box and want to know if one gear is better for normal driving
thanks[/img]
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Well Charles, it sounds like you probably do have a problem in the steer gear box.
If you have a "605" box, a metric box that has the numbers '605' embossed in the casting, that is a very common problem... they are JUNK! I went through four of them in my dirt car before buying a good Saginaw based Sweet racing box. The 605 box could not take the punishment of dirt racing, and they would do the very same thing you describe only worse. They would overcorrect then lock to one side or the other. I had to get towed off the track on each one.
If you do have a 605 box in there, get it out and use it for a boat anchor!
You most likely have a 3/4" input shaft, as the 13/16" were mostly for trucks.
I am not sure what most unmolested factory GM factory steer box ratios are, but there is also another factor to figure in...
Be carefull on which valving you get on your next box!
A 185 valve is the softest and easiest to turn. Most road racers and dirt track racers want these if they are going to run a quick steer reducer, as it takes very little effort to move the wheel.
A 210 is medium effort valve, and I think pretty close to stock effort.
A 230 is very stiff valving and you pretty much have to have strong arms to move the steering wheel a lot. The NASCAR guys use these on super speedways where there is very little steering movement going on, so the car doesn't wander.
It sounds like, if your box is not a stock factory Saginaw box or has been changed out before, it might have a 185 valve in it, but I'm betting your stock box is about to take a dump on you...? Be carefull!

I hope this helps some, but take it for face value as this is just my opinion from past experiences... Jim
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
clwarters
SHOW GUEST

Default steering box

hey, thanks for the info ! i have been working alot of hours and sorry about taking so long to respond. i beleive i installed a 13/? not a 3/4 rag joint but i will check now. if the one you said you have will fit how much will you take for it, i will look for the number on mine and how can i find the info to tell on the valve i may have?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Well that's a tough one... being able to tell the valve in an existing box. There are so many numbers and so many combinations, you are probably best off to go down and get a reman from your favorite auto parts store for the exact fit to your car or truck. After core charge return you are probably way ahead to do that instead. I would be real surprized if you need a 13/16" input because like I say, I believe the 13/16 shafts were used mostly on big cars and trucks, some of which the box mounted outside the frame rails.
To be honest with you, the box I have is a 230 valve, and a 13/16" input shaft. I was ignorant of the differences when I bought this from a race outfit, and I screwed myself for not learning all I have shared with you first. Turns out I learned this box was for a NASCAR Truck and not at all what I needed. I paid about $300 plus shipping for this Sweet reman box, but when I got it I discovered the differences in the shafts, and the 230 valve would not have worked with my 2:1 quicksteer reducer on the shaft of my dirt modified. As I was bragging to a race buddy about my purchase, he was not so kind in telling me how badly I screwed up..
The 230 valve box I have would work for you with power steering, and pretty much most of the GM boxes will interchange bolting up positions. Somebody out there please correct me if I am wrong...?
But, I highly reccomend you go to your auto parts dealer and trade your core in for a box designed for your ride. OR, you could go find one off another vehilce exactly like yours in a wrecking yard...? Then you will have piece of mind that you got exactly what is meant for your ride.
If you really think the one I have may work for you PM me and we can discuss it... Jim
Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
clwarters
SHOW GUEST

Default 68 camaro steering

thanks alot , i will do a little more checking i will pull mine off tomorrorw then i can tell what i have