69 Camaro gets cooked.....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default 69 Camaro gets cooked.....

Don't know how it started, but it'll make ya really think........

http://autoholics.com/2012/08/08/Wat...Trailer-654053
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default fire

I almost had that with my 67 camaro 2 weeks ago , coming back from a race in Ala and saw smoke coming out of wheel well, called 911 and unloaded car and golf cart and fuel cans on side of road then put the fire out. $700 later We are back on the road with luckily no damage to car or trailer. Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

YIKES !
What do you figure started that fire of yours ?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
YIKES !
What do you figure started that fire of yours ?
DD, since Jimmy S. hasn't answered this :?: i'll answer it for him, kinda funny and not funny. We were headed to Holly Springs at the same time, but we had issues of our own, we had a blowout on Hwy 6 going east just outside of Oxford Ms., Jimmy passed us going West comming home from a race in Ala., he didn't reconagize us broke down across the 4 lane with median because he had never seen the tow vehicle before. We got a new tire and continued on, we got a call form a friend that said Jimmy was on the side of the road half way between Oxfod and Batesville with his car out of the trailer and the fire department was there. I called Jimmy after we got to the track, it turns out that a wheel bearing went bad and caught fire, fast thinking he unloads his car and golf cart while his wife calls 911, he get's the fire out and calls a friend to come pick up the car and he limps on home (about 20 miles) on 3 wheels, Gotta love those torsion axles.

Zip.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Us trailer users seem to put wheel bearing/tire maintenance on the back burner ! Personally, I am fastidious about that as I've seen and helped out folks a lot over the years when bearing failures schitt happens. Even still, I've had the hot/burned bearing bug hit me at the most unexpected times.
I'm thankful that Jimmy had the awareness to see that fire before it got really bad and the fortitude to get the FUEL out ! It coulda been a LOT worse
It'd be interesting to know how the fire started in that video. I try to learn from others' misfortunes and take precautions to lessen them happening to me.
These two fire events make me wonder why onboard fire suppression systems in the enclosed trailers isn't a good idea. Sumthin' to think about......
Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

What's kinda pecular is that the trailer tire that blew out on us was only 2 yrs old and had less than 2,000 mile on it, fact it's a 2010 trailer, in Jimmy's case i think he just had'nt used the buddy hubs ofter enough, because he travels alot to races, i think that's what happen Anderson a couple yrs. ago when he lost his whole rig and car on the western swing.

Zip.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default Wheel bearing grease

The fire was from the grease burning, the washer that goes behind the nut was too large and had ground itself down and caused the bearing problem, it had plenty of grease that is what was burning. all is well the trailer is 19 yrs old and I have replaced brakes before but this time we replaced everything but the spindle. The large fire ext has been refilled ready to go. ps I have 5 fire ext in that rig. Later J.Smith 4621 racing from the LAND MASS between New Orleans and Mobile

o getem
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Very sad....