Getting into racing

Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
cs89chevy
SHOW GUEST

Default Getting into racing

to start i pretty much know the basic on cars i know my way around just enough to get me in trouble lol if you know what i mean. Anywho im 26yrs old and am looking to get into racing I want to start with a 94 mustang project the car is actually still on the road for time being but i want to convert it to a race car not street legal. I want the car car to go at least 6.30s 6.50s on motor i the 1/8 mile what kind of settup will be needed i know about a few tricks for weight reduction but will i be able to put up these numbers on a stock suspension with a sbc or will i need a bbc tons of questions looking for any kind of answers or helpful tips. P.S I have already established that i want to chage the rear end to a 9 inch ford and i want to install a roll cage . sorry for the grammar im doing this on the fly.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Getting into racing

Originally Posted by cs89chevy
to start i pretty much know the basic on cars i know my way around just enough to get me in trouble lol if you know what i mean. Anywho im 26yrs old and am looking to get into racing I want to start with a 94 mustang project the car is actually still on the road for time being but i want to convert it to a race car not street legal. I want the car car to go at least 6.30s 6.50s on motor i the 1/8 mile what kind of settup will be needed i know about a few tricks for weight reduction but will i be able to put up these numbers on a stock suspension with a sbc or will i need a bbc tons of questions looking for any kind of answers or helpful tips. P.S I have already established that i want to chage the rear end to a 9 inch ford and i want to install a roll cage . sorry for the grammar im doing this on the fly.
6,30 on motor... break out your wallet their is nothing wrong with the 8.8 rear-end in the mustang :wink:
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
cs89chevy
SHOW GUEST

Default Getting into racing

money shouldn't be an issue as i work for lockheed martin and my wife is a registeried nurse (shouldn't lol) anyway i see you have a vega what kind of things have you done to it looking to get tips .
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The mustang is a very good platform to start with. 6.30-6.5 is not a huge obstacle. There is a great amount of info on the Mustang out there to help you out. I would also change to the 9". Is there a reason you don't want to go with the Ford motor? The reason I ask is that there is a lot of parts out there now for them.

I unfortunately can't help you with technical info on that car. Just don't have experience with them.

I went the cheap route and bought my roadster so I don't have to make much HP to go fast.

One thing, have you ever made a pass in a car even close to 6.30? That would be a high 9.70-9.80 in most door cars and is a pretty fast ride to climb into and learn with. Not trying to say you can't do it or talk you out of it just want you to keep that in mind. It doesn't say where you are from, and there might me some on here close that can help. No matter what I hope things work out for you, we need all the new racers we can get.

Curtis
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

My little Dart run's 6'50's in the 1/8th with a small block, I agree to go 6'30-6'20 get out a good size wallet. 6'50's-6'60's is a good ride and you don't break alot of part's :!: :!:

Mark
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

I would agree with what doorracer eluded too. Start off with a mild set up and progress after you get some seat time. I believe most tracks offer a street car class ( I use the turm loosly) so you can start with a decent small block and stock suspension. This way you get your feet wet and can go bigger and better as your skills do. Would hate to see ya spend a ton of money and go out on your first run and at minimum wreck the car and at wosrt loose your life. Mark (mopar 1968) helped me get the ideas of gradour out of my head because all I have is some dirt circle track stuff, the only "drag racing I had done was some not so leagal street stuff everybody where i used to live did due to no track close. So when I'm ready to put a car together I will go with ( compared to what most of the guys here run) a mild small blick and some upgraded suspension parts and go from there. and who knows i may never go much beyond that.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
I woild agree with what doorracer eluded too. Start off with a mild set up and progress after you get some seat time. I believe most tracks offer a street car class ( I use the tuem loosly) so you can start with a decentsmall block and stock on up suspension. This way you get your feet wet and can go bigger and better as your skills do. Would hate to see ya spend a ton of money and go out on your first run and at minimum wreck the car and at wosrt loose your life. Mark (mopar 1968) helped me get the ideas of gradour out of my head because there then some dirt circle track stuff, the only "drag racing I had done wa some not so leagal street stuff everybody where i used to live did due to no track close. So when I'm ready to put a car together I will go with ( compared to what most of the guys here run) a mils small blick and some upgraded suspension parts and go from there. and who knows i may never go much beyond that.

Wow Sam I didn't know you raced before.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

Sme not a whole bunch. And the bit of arm drop racing i did on the streets (not proud of) i liked better then the circle track but both are fun
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default mustang or maybe interested in a Monte Carlo

Going fast can be costly, but fun
I have an option for you I am selling an 1985 Monte carlo with a fresh sbc, fresh B/M 350 auto, 4:10 auburn posi in a ten bolt for 6500 obo.Recent paint. It is a pump gas motor that runs 12.90s 1/4 mile all day long, very reliable can drive it to work (no wipers,heat or ac) but does have power windows, great entry level car, it does need interior cosmetics.
Drive it while improving it, depending on what you want to do first
I would put a NOS kit 175, should put the car into the low 11's or better. slicker up the interior , keep driving it while putting together a 383 SBC
I know this is the wrong forum to advertise but this MC is a fantastic car to start with, its not a mustang tho. if you have any interest let me know.
Jeff 708-308-0282
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

A buddy of mine built a stock suspension fox body with a 8.8 and a 348 sbf. It went 6.50s on motor and 5.70s on spray. Very reliable motor and a great driving car altogether. It ran a 5.95 index class for two years and was undefeated. It seems that the small block ford has really came into it's own in the past few years. At least in my neck of the woods. Parts are fairly cheap,too. That car i described was built on a stock block,an eagle rotating assy and procomp heads. A true budget car with only bolt on chassis mods and it preformed flawlessly. It was a power window/door lock car and it was a true sleeper. All the windows and door locks worked. The factory chime worked if you left the key or the headlights on and it was really handy having a working trunk light when you were heating the bottle. Full interior street car on DOT tires with an intact factory wiring harness that would cruise in traffic all day and bust out high 5' in the 1/8. As much as I love my BBC's, i cannot deny that a sbf is a great engine.