Oil Pan Question

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

Default Oil Pan Question

I have purchased a new racing oil pan, it has a coating of some kind on the inside, looks like paint. I have never purchased a new pan that was coated on the inside and I was wondering if anyone had ever run one like this and if there were any problems with them. I was trying to decide weather to change it for one that was not coated. Thanks for any help on this.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Who made it or where did you buy it from ?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

Default Oil Pan Question

I got it in a group of parts I bought, it was sealed in the box, It was made by WYSCO.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Simple . . It's painted. http://www.wysco.com/oilpans.html

Love the frickin' internet! It makes you soooooo smart . .
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

I understand it is painted,, is it safe to use,, Just wondering if anyone had used these and if they had any problems with them..
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

I can't see paint in an oil pan being very safe for an engine. Just looking for another opinion or someone who had used one.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Kinda depends on what they painted it with. If it's POR15, unless you have Nitro in your oil pan, it'll never come off. Nothing to worry about. Actually better than raw steel in a lot of cases. You'll never have rust or scale. On a racing engine, though, normally that's not a problem (if you take it apart in the wintertime and the engine isn't sitting there all in one piece for 8 or 9 months).

Take MEK or Methanol on a clean rag and try to scrub it off. Scrape the surface (outside) with a sharp knife. If either lifts, softens or scrapes the material off, it ain't Por15.

It could also be either powder coat or epoxy. Can't say much about either because it depends a lot on how it was prepped prior to coating . . .

Back to square one. Call WYSCO. Ask 'em!

But . . Back when we was racing Jr. Fuel . . We used to paint the whole inside of an engine prior to putting it together. The idea was that the paint literally absorbed or glued down any thing that didn't get washed out after machining. Never had a problem with the paint coming off, but it sure as hell didn't keep the rods inside!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

Thanks,, for some reason WYSCO doesn't want to tell me what it is covered with. I will probably see about getting one without paint on the inside. I found some with the same part number on E-bay,, no coating inside now,, just makes me wonder about it.
Thanks again for the information.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I use POR15 inside my engines as well. BUT the casting finish gives it 'teeth' to keep it in place during heat cycles and vibrations. Unless that pan was sandblasted even POR15 could theoretically flake off over time and use.
Do like RK advised and do the scrape and scratch test.
Yeah, even a Krylon rebuild doesn't give those worn out bearings another 50K miles ! :shock: :shock:
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 AM
dirtman10
SHOW GUEST

Does not seem to be POR15, did scrape on the inside.

Thanks for the information.