Head seal- aluminum block

Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Larrygo
SHOW GUEST

Default Head seal- aluminum block

Problems keeping seal on my big chief heads sealed to my donovan block, Tried copper with O rings and MLS gasgets but alwas seem to fail after about 50 passes. This is a N/A high 7 sec car. Are these blocks amaintanance piece? Any sugestions. Thanks. Motor is a 632ci.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I got the same set up with no issues...copper head gaskets o-ringed...NO LEAKS....did you use any sealer around the head studs ? have you tried Haylomar on your head gaskets.

How bad is your leak ?...if the above don't stop it I would have to get the block decking checked out along with the heads the next teardown.

jmo

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

:?: Do you have reciever grooves in the heads, i know that O'rings donot work well with over .060 copper gaskets, and they have to be retorqued after 15 to 20 passes. I've ran KB blocks blown alcohol that's what i had to do, but i've never ran a Donovan blk.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Geez, I thought "Re-torquing" heads on any aluminum engine /head combo was just weekly maintenance if you're running high compression and leaning on it.

Currently, we re-torque the Darts on the cast iron BBC about every 30 runs . . Just one of those things you do (I think) . . .
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Geez, I thought "Re-torquing" heads on any aluminum engine /head combo was just weekly maintenance if you're running high compression and leaning on it.

Currently, we re-torque the Darts on the cast iron BBC about every 30 runs . . Just one of those things you do (I think) . . .
always a good practice...also what Zip said about receiver grooves in the heads...this will really cause the wire to bite into the copper headgasket !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Larrygo
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for replies, block and heads have been resurfaced. took O rings out when re-sleaving it,the sleaves are machined flat with block. They were proud .002 with 0 rings. Im trying MLS gasket and re torqued after 1st cool down.Never triied Halomar and re-torque exta times. Hope this works. Any one else with the same combo would like to here from you Thanks Larry.