Paypal?...opinions wanted.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:52 AM
lodilobo
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Paypal?...opinions wanted.

I've been buying and selling on this site and ebay for several years, and have have used Paypal for most of my transactions, whether buying or selling. Even though there is a cost when selling. Why is it alot of sellers refuse to use Paypal? As far as I'm concerned, I'll pay the fee to the seller, so he doesn't lose the few bucks that Paypal charges if I really want the item. Paypal has saved my ass several times when I've dealt with theives that have no intention of shipping the item after you pay, or when they grossly misrepresent an item. I recently found a set of wheels here, and agreed to pay the seller the asking price, but didn't buy them, because he wanted a money order before shipping.....screw that. I'm a very trusting person, and have lost money many times because of it. I've learned my lesson with that approach....several times. Unless I am able to make the deal in person, and pay cash, or know the person I'm dealing with, Paypal is the only option. Tell me a better way to complete a transaction....buying or selling...without risk. While there are some really lowlife scam bastards out there dealing, and trying to scam you, most of the guys on this site are honest and fair.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Paypal is for the buyer ... the seller can get screwed !!

Example of something I've seen a few times. Buyer gets the parts and figures out it wont work for what he wants. He files a claim with paypal saying it wasnt what he was told or it has a small scratch. He wins everytime, gets his money back and your out the money and fee's ... oh yea your also out your parts.

I almost refuse to use paypal not because the stuff isnt good .. but because there is a lot of scumbags out there !
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 AM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

David is right it is for the buyer not for the seller.
I have lost 5 grand through pay pal . It is a long story so i want get into it but those scum bags you are talking about has figured out how to get you on pay pal also.

I hate it when a customer want's to use them but i still do take just alot more careful and do some checking before hand.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default paypal

I will take postal money orders only.I got hosed by paypal twice. And that is enought for me. If you buy something from me you will get the items on time and as advertised, and I will cash the postal money order. In my case, it is not a question of extra cost, it is a question of a clean deal w/o added problems. Pay pal does not work for me, if I loss a sale because of it , that less of a problem than dealing with paypal. Honesty is what counts from the buyer and seller. JMO
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I have been letting people pay me via paypal lately (non ebay transactions) by sending it as a "gift". Now the person sending the money has to have faith in you, if they send it as a gift there are NO paypal fees and they can not try and come back on you for a refund cause it was sent as a gift.
I have never in 12 years had an issue buying, selling and paying with paypal for my ebay transactions.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: paypal

Originally Posted by bixblk
I will take postal money orders only.I got hosed by paypal twice. And that is enought for me. If you buy something from me you will get the items on time and as advertised, and I will cash the postal money order. In my case, it is not a question of extra cost, it is a question of a clean deal w/o added problems. Pay pal does not work for me, if I loss a sale because of it , that less of a problem than dealing with paypal. Honesty is what counts from the buyer and seller. JMO

X2!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I've used paypal for over 10 yrs and only got screwed one time. i usually pay with a credit card and have some recourse if something goes wrong.
Postal MO's are safe if you cash them at the post office before you ship the parts, however there are lots of phoney postal MO's out there. The very safest way is to setup a 1 time account with your bank if it's a large purchase and use a money transfer, that will usually stop any scammers.

Course cash is KING if you're picking up in person.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:38 AM
lodilobo
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks for all the input. I've never had a bad experience with Paypal, but maybe that's because I buy more than I sell. I have a guy emailing me right now on a motorcycle that I'm selling. His emails wreak of the typical Nigerian scam bastard, but he wants to pay me in advance with Paypal. He's telling me he's on a ship, but his agent will pick up the bike. As of now, I've ignored his emails. I'm assuminmg this is a scam of some sort.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lodilobo
Thanks for all the input. I've never had a bad experience with Paypal, but maybe that's because I buy more than I sell. I have a guy emailing me right now on a motorcycle that I'm selling. His emails wreak of the typical Nigerian scam bastard, but he wants to pay me in advance with Paypal. He's telling me he's on a ship, but his agent will pick up the bike. As of now, I've ignored his emails. I'm assuminmg this is a scam of some sort.
Typical scam, i would ignore it.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I've used paypal for over 10 yrs and only got screwed one time. i usually pay with a credit card and have some recourse if something goes wrong.
Postal MO's are safe if you cash them at the post office before you ship the parts, however there are lots of phoney postal MO's out there. The very safest way is to setup a 1 time account with your bank if it's a large purchase and use a money transfer, that will usually stop any scammers.

Course cash is KING if you're picking up in person.

JMO

Zip.
Zip's dead on ... Wire Transfer is the only way to fly when buying big ticket items !

Everyone on here says postal money orders are the safest bet ... but in reality postal money orders are faked more then any money order in the country. Even worse you can't just call and track the money order to see where it came from and if its good. They dont keep record of it like a bank. 3 weeks ago I sold some parts to a guy on the east cost, I told him id like a bank money order (you can call that bank and verify if its good) he sent a postal money order. My post office and no bank/credit union in town would cash it for me. This is just one of several times I've ran into this problem, I have to drive 30mins to a place to cash it. Moral of the story ..... be smart with deals !! You can varify money orders/cashiers checks from any bank in the USA with a single phone call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -