BUBBLE GUM WELDS can they fixed

Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
mojomal
APPRENTICE

Default BUBBLE GUM WELDS can they fixed

I looking at buying a drag car the welds look like they were globbed on.
the rest of thecar is premo. so the question is can a bad weld job be redone if so how much would a shop charge to do this
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: BUBBLE GUM WELDS can they fixed

Originally Posted by mojomal
I looking at buying a drag car the welds look like they were globbed on.
the rest of thecar is premo. so the question is can a bad weld job be redone if so how much would a shop charge to do this
ive seen a few like that.... lol they ground down most of the weld and laid bead with the mig right over it... as long as you get it hot enough to get good penetration... it will be fine :wink:
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Doing it without pulling it all apart is going to take a ton of time and die grinder work. Like Fast V said, you need to get ALL the old globbly goop completely removed before rewelding. Pay a GOOD welder to do the welding as it will be a challenge to get proper weld penetration and strength in an already contaminated substrate.

As and addendum, you might even add gussets on all those rebuilt joints just for added strength.

When you get upside down, EVERY joint in a roll cage may or may not let you live through it. You build a roll cage to work only ONE time, the time you really need it and it better be strong !

I've seen race cars that passed tech, that I wouldn't even SIT in with the engine OFF, they are so badly welded. Scary, scary stuff, Maynard !
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
mojomal
APPRENTICE

thx for the input if I decide to get it i'll be looking for a good welder in north fl.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
I've seen race cars that passed tech, that I wouldn't even SIT in with the engine OFF, they are so badly welded. Scary, scary stuff, Maynard !
i hear ya! their was a guy at our track a few years back that built his whole cage out of pvc tubing and used silicone to make the joints look like they were welded and then painted it all black...... just to save weight... the dipshit was running in the lower 8's too..... :shock:
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Did it pass tech or did he get busted the first time through ? I'd LOVE to see video of THAT !

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

[/quote]

i hear ya! their was a guy at our track a few years back that built his whole cage out of pvc tubing and used silicone to make the joints look like they were welded and then painted it all black...... just to save weight... the dipshit was running in the lower 8's too..... :shock:[/quote]

I have heard of exhaust tubing, but never PVC. Thats what the Darwin awards are for...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Did it pass tech or did he get busted the first time through ? I'd LOVE to see video of THAT !

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
he was regular.. there every week guy. he "built" the new car and bob"the owner" just assumed it was done like the rest of his cars and let him run... he ran it for a few months before someone blew him in....
Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
todd8525
JOURNEYMAN

Default bad welds

Not sure but i was told u are not suppose to TIG over a MIG weld?Yes /No or is this a myth.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Simply one word....WHY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -