Thread: SBC Dragster Gear Question

SBC Dragster Gear Question

I have a 225 Hardtail Dragster with a SBC. It has a 4.11 gear in it right now. It's only turning 6400 at the stripe 1/8th. So was going to change gears I have a 4.88 gear but a friend of mine tells me it will make it less consistant and more violent leaving. What would you recommend for the gear ratio. Want to get the motor turning at least 7000 at the stripe 1/8th.
    Thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    i would think 4.30 or 4.56 will be all ya need to get up to 7k :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: SBC Dragster Gear Question

Quote Originally Posted by cchurch31
    I have a 225 Hardtail Dragster with a SBC. It has a 4.11 gear in it right now. It's only turning 6400 at the stripe 1/8th. So was going to change gears I have a 4.88 gear but a friend of mine tells me it will make it less consistant and more violent leaving. What would you recommend for the gear ratio. Want to get the motor turning at least 7000 at the stripe 1/8th.
    Thanks
    Pretty big jump but if you have the 4.88 already i'd try it, dont plan ever racing 1/4 mile with it though.

Your friend most likely is right it will be more aggressive but also should make the converter mroe efficent with the 4.88 gear so it may turn out to be better in the long run.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Yes I only run 1/8th. Yes it is a big jump the guy that I got the car from had a Big Block and the 4.11. The car is running good, it's running 5.18 on gas but want to run 4.90 heads up. That's why I'm looking into the gear change.
    Thanks