Default Ram Clutches - my experience

Purchased over $1,000 worth of Ram stuff:
Flywheel,
Long style resure plate,
6 point disc
clutch stud kit
Hyd T/O bearing
Bleed kit
My car went 30 feet before puking all the hydraulic fluid in the lot.
Pulled transmission (Lenco - weighs 167 pounds) and found bleeder lines were hitting the bolts that are used to assemble the pressure plate.
I took several pictures, a narrative and mailed them to Ram. (I know some companies do not want to open pictures send email.)
While waiting, I added bought a new bleader kit, and some street 45's that moved the lines away from the boltheads.
I sent an email asking if they got the mail. Here is their reply:

Dave,
Yes, we did get the photos, thanks. We are aware of this issue and when anyone calls for a hyd. bearing we always ask if they are using a long style pressure plate and let them know they must use 45 degree fittings if so. This is also now listed on our FAQ page.

Doug
RAM Clutches

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 8:54 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Issue with hydraulic throw out

One week ago Monday, I mailed pictures and a description of an interference issue with your hydraulic throwout bearing lines.
I mailed the pictures because many companies are reluctant to open attachments.
Have you had a chance to evaluate my letter?

Thank you,
Dave
Sugar Hill, GA

Here is the new FAQ data, straight from their website.

Go to: warranty information/ determination on the technical page for complete information on evaluating warranties and warranty handling procedures.

HYDRAULIC RELEASE BEARINGS

When using a Long style / 3-finger clutch, the straight fittings on the base of the bearing hit my levers. What do I do?

When using a Long style pressure plate you must replace the straight fittings at the base of the hydraulic bearing with 45 degree fittings. This will keep the levers of the pressure plate from contacting the hydraulic lines.

No "thank you for R&D", no offer to replace the lines or fittings. No "Sorry for you time". I don't think they would have responded if I had not inquired of them.

Am I being to unreasonable??? :?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Don't appear to be unreasonable to me, when a simple thank you would have sufficed.

Some of these companies get too big for their britches, sometimes !!!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Ram This !!!!!

You are not being unreasonable, customer satisfaction and service does not exist anymore. Companies now a days do not not understand how important a happy satisfied customer is. A happy customer is the best advertisment you can get. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. They have lost a sale or two already !
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
nopro
CRAFTSMAN

was this a kit sold by Ram directly to you ?
if so they are at fault .

other parts selling places , they along with you are at fault .

Ram does have the info for the Long p/p . who's fault is it if you did'nt read the info
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Dave-

I think you are owed a little more than a matter-of-fact/short answer... the "FAQ" page is like say screw you after spending over a grand only to be told they are aware of it & "they always ask" BS... had they asked; you would not be in this situation right??? The answer is short, appears they could care less... LAME.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

yeah for the R@D work you did and they using it on their Q&A page ( proof positive) I would have thought the wise business decision would have been to at least replace any parts, they could have wrote them off as defective or whatever.

If I were you Dave I would call them up and ask just that...you never know it might have been a summer help worker answer your e-mail or someone un-important or doesn;t care in the company...I would call and go straight to the top and explain the situation as nice as possible....also advise them of this Forum...and the Fact one of the Administrators just put in a Ram set up in a 73 z supporting a richmond 6 speed...and also advise him he has a Vendor lindsey Ring and Pinion from right here in S.C. that buys a lot of stuff from them throughtout the year.

WE JUST WANT TO KEEP THEIR NAME GOOD....RIGHT ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

just kinda curious, why didnt this get noticed when you were putting it together?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
just kinda curious, why didnt this get noticed when you were putting it together?
Outlaw - good question.

When I bolted up the transmission, the lines had plenty of clearance to the pressure plate. I even rotated the engine over and all was fine. I cranked the new engine and all was fine.

However when I pushed in the clutch, the clutch fingers cause the pressure plate to move rearward (that's what causes the gap that allows you to put the transmission in gear) and the pressure plate assembly bolts barely touched the stainless lines, resulting in immediate failure.

And yes bjuice, my R&D is posted on their website! Thanks...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:39 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well i am glad ya got it fiqured out and also glad ya didnt think i was trying to be a smartazz. i was just wondering how it got missed.lol cause i can write a book on missed stuff!hell man i can write volumes of books!!!!!!!!lol
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
well i am glad ya got it fiqured out and also glad ya didnt think i was trying to be a smartazz. i was just wondering how it got missed.lol cause i can write a book on missed stuff!hell man i can write volumes of books!!!!!!!!lol
Brother, you will never offend me. I wish I lived closer so I could help out.