Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Whats your ideal car and day at the track, here is mine !

  1. #1
    Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville s.c.
    Posts
    3,239

    Whats your ideal car and day at the track, here is mine !

    I have owned and driven cars from 4.60 et up thru 9 flat.
    The faster cars is more like work and very expensive..the slow , slow cars are just boring...but to me the sweet spot is something between 6.50 and 7.20 et...something you can drive to the track yourself and check the oil is the only maintenance. Since I live only 20 minutes from the closest track I like the idea if I get a spur of the moment itch to go to the drag strip I can throw my fire jacket in the back seat along with my helmet put on the fire pants before I leave the house with helmet in the back seat,drive by the local Amoco or BP station and pump some 93 octane and drive on down to the track pull into staging straight from the admission gate..( yes you can do this at our Outlaw tracks, No tech crap around here).....make some passes and on the last pass take off the helmet and jacket never stopping down the return road heading right out the gate and head on home.....perfect day at the track !

    The vid below TO ME is the perfect car to have the Most fun at the drag strip...would make a good bracket car or a PERFECT 7.0ET HEADS UP INDEX CLASS...ORSCA HAS A GREAT 7.0 HEADS UP INDEX CLASS


    The car below is Not too fast Not to Slow..LOW maintenance, straight drive and a Chevy and looks good..

    I have to say the ole boy gets thru the gears pretty good also..again I know of him but not personally,,see the car at the track all the time..Cool camera !

    What do you Guys think ? What is your pefect car and day at the track ?


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DA5GIBUpo
    Bjuice..

    "I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Ga.
    Posts
    2,295
    BJ I agree at some point going fast really becomes a full time job.
    As much as I love my new truck it's tuff to run it without a full pit crew to help. I'm in the process of putting 3 stages of nos on the motor and I'll be pushing over 2,000hp with all 3 kits on. I know it's going to tripple my cost of racing and I'll start having some serious parts repair bills too. I know that's a part of it, but not sure how long I can keep this kind of pace up.

    I'd really like to get back to a more streetable hot rod vehicle at some point. It's just as much fun and a lot less work.

    BTW if you can, put June 23rd (Saturday) on your calendar.
    We're (99% sure) having a race not to far from you. I'll send you some info as soon as the race is locked in.

  3. #3
    Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville s.c.
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbit
    BJ I agree at some point going fast really becomes a full time job.
    As much as I love my new truck it's tuff to run it without a full pit crew to help. I'm in the process of putting 3 stages of nos on the motor and I'll be pushing over 2,000hp with all 3 kits on. I know it's going to tripple my cost of racing and I'll start having some serious parts repair bills too. I know that's a part of it, but not sure how long I can keep this kind of pace up.

    I'd really like to get back to a more streetable hot rod vehicle at some point. It's just as much fun and a lot less work.

    BTW if you can, put June 23rd (Saturday) on your calendar.
    We're (99% sure) having a race not to far from you. I'll send you some info as soon as the race is locked in.
    everything you said is spot on...you are correct when you start hitting that bad boy with all that NOS get the pocket book ready..and the bad thing is that 99% of the time you can have damage from the NOS and it will give you NO signs as to being hurt...only a leak down test can pick up on it...Another BIG misconception about NOS is too much NOS can burn one up...why there is some truth to that Most of your NOS damage comes from having too much fuel....to be honest getting into the faster stuff pretty much cooled my heels for racing..lost the desire with all the work, money and having to pretty much have a full time crew to run at this level. the only difference from the time you was at my house is the car was moved to another part of my garage !...I did clean out the SHOP SO YOU WOULD BE PROUD OF ME!.... ...it did the same thing to my cousin Steve who was a VERY SUCCESFUL 10.5 racer with many wins under his belt and also a championship. It worked him so hard and so much money he has a Winning 67 Nova with a FRESH fulton 815ci state of the art Engine with a brand hammer new Lenco tranny just sitting in his Garage...He has lost all desire..I am taking my Nova to his place Next Saturday and he is going to tune my Nos with his Lap top and we going over the car leakdown etc....

    Hey Rabbit you are planning on Tunning that NOS in your box with a Laptop aren't you ? just thought I would ask.

    Let me know about the June race I will make the trip and Drive the Z..The New 6 speed is Killer on Road trips. !

    hey who are these Outlaws ?

    Bjuice..

    "I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    I agree BJ, I have seen the faster car's explode transmissions,break cranks etc. My car don't even remove the hood [never} Charge the batteries,Refuel her and go! She maynot be the fastest but i have put the fastest on the trailer with her :!: :!: :!:

    http://youtu.be/WoDb4smLHtM


    Mark
    Head's up the true drag race!!

  5. #5
    Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville s.c.
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar1968
    I agree BJ, I have seen the faster car's explode transmissions,break cranks etc. My car don't even remove the hood [never} Charge the batteries,Refuel her and go! She maynot be the fastest but i have put the fastest on the trailer with her :!: :!: :!:

    http://youtu.be/WoDb4smLHtM


    Mark
    I heard that loud and clear for sure....lol
    Bjuice..

    "I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    I had a 94 Daytona with a 525 big block,Power glide with a ginner brake,9 inch ford, ran 5:30's - 5:40's Ran Superpro, Sure i broke things,But when the big parts started breaking that was it :!: I told my wife i was weighing out the odd's, Keep opening my wallet or sell it and build a car that i could enjoy!!!! So that's what i did :!: I love side by side racing :!:


    Mark
    Head's up the true drag race!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Moscow Mills, Mo.
    Posts
    533
    I agree Brian. Me and the boys have LS1 Camaro's and Trans AM's.
    6 speed of course. :lol:
    They make tons of power with a cam change and 12 bolt rear end.
    Tranny won't last to long unless you beef it up but you can drive it to the track and turn the air on driving them back home.
    Fun car to have on cruzes and at the track.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Augusta, Ga.
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bjuice

    Hey Rabbit you are planning on Tunning that NOS in your box with a Laptop aren't you ? just thought I would ask.

    Let me know about the June race I will make the trip and Drive the Z..The New 6 speed is Killer on Road trips. !

    hey who are these Outlaws ?

    I think I know both of those guys! lol

    Steve Vance is my nos tuner. He built / tuned Joel Douglas's 632 and mine is almost exact copy of his motor. The only difference is Joel had Brodix heads, I have Dart heads and Joel had 2 carbs, I have one big one.
    I do need to step up and buy a race pack, but that may be after the 2nd set of pistons. :lol:

    The race on June 23rd is set. Finalized late yesterday.
    It's gonna be a Neeses, SC. at the Thunder Valley Motorplex.
    I'll get with you long before then and give you the details.

    Let me know when you need some help with the nova. I'm a pretty good one man pit crew. I can take care of the car, you'll just have to drive her!

  9. #9
    Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville s.c.
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by bjuice

    Hey Rabbit you are planning on Tunning that NOS in your box with a Laptop aren't you ? just thought I would ask.

    Let me know about the June race I will make the trip and Drive the Z..The New 6 speed is Killer on Road trips. !

    hey who are these Outlaws ?

    I think I know both of those guys! lol

    Steve Vance is my nos tuner. He built / tuned Joel Douglas's 632 and mine is almost exact copy of his motor. The only difference is Joel had Brodix heads, I have Dart heads and Joel had 2 carbs, I have one big one.
    I do need to step up and buy a race pack, but that may be after the 2nd set of pistons. :lol:

    The race on June 23rd is set. Finalized late yesterday.
    It's gonna be a Neeses, SC. at the Thunder Valley Motorplex.
    I'll get with you long before then and give you the details.

    Let me know when you need some help with the nova. I'm a pretty good one man pit crew. I can take care of the car, you'll just have to drive her!
    now thats the best offer I had all year 2011 and 2012..we will make the neeses race for sure just let me know.

    thanks
    Bjuice..

    "I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EUGENE,OR.
    Posts
    3,408
    Yep... good clean fun. He smoked the fox-body stang too... (not trying to compare Ford/Chevy). To me, that commitment level about as far as I need to go anyways: a good pump gas SBC or BBC in car that can be driven... and also pretty much dominate anything on the street at most given moments too (just for good measure).

    You need something that can hold its weight if you happen to find yourself next to a 911 or a "Biff" type guy in a Vette that thinks he is next Ricky Racer in a really fast car. Not trying to promote unsafe street behavior necessarily here... just a quick stop light adjustment with the snap of a clutch or warm 3500ish stall for example....

    Now for the bodies that house these ready, willing & able drive trains (without getting too exotic with money) I have a top 5 in Mopar & Ford & Pontiac... but these below are the most familiar to me.

    1. 68 Chevelle (this is my car now)
    2. 69 Chevelle
    3. 70 Chevelle or maybe a 66 & definitely a 67 too. (in that glorious order)
    4. 66-67 Nova
    5. 55-57 Gasser (4 speed only)
    6. 1st & second gen Camaro
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy