Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sbc drag racing engine...

sbc drag racing engine...

my question is this... i have the chance to build a race only engine for my 3000 lb... race ready vega...should i go with the... 383.... or 377... or 406... i have a good 400... 509 2 bolt block... it needs to turn 7200 at the lights.... any help would be great... thanks in advance.........caveman... :?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Go with the 406" i've got a 377" in 3250 lbs and it has no torque for that much weight, even on alcohol. i had a 406 on gas in the car and ran better and quicker 60' times. But i broke it because i didn't have good rod bolts in the pink rods (boke a rod bolt)
    The 377' in my car is a 2 bolt, and the 406" was a 4 bolt blk. Luckly it didn't kill the 4 bolt block and i still have it
    JMO

Zip.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    Go with the 406"

Zip.
    X2

hey guys... thanks for the quick responce... i was leaning towards the 406... but do you think it san stand 7200 rpm... i'm running a 32 inch tall tire turbo 350.. bo brake and 5;13 gears ... thanks caveman.......

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    There's no replacement for displacement, so a SBC with 400+ CIs is the way to go! Additionally, I believe a broad power-band in a car like your's (typically with a Power-Glide) is also very important. So, a 4" stroke crank will help with that.

FYI, my SBC 427 stroker with 4" crank will easly turn 7500, but I typically shift it at 7200 bracket racing.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer
    There's no replacement for displacement, so a SBC with 400+ CIs is the way to go! Additionally, I believe a broad power-band in a car like your's (but typically with a Power-Glide) is also very important. So, a 4" stroke crank will help with that.

FYI, my SBC 427 stroker with 4" crank will easly turn 7500, but I typically shift it at 7200 bracket racing.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer
    There's no replacement for displacement
    You know it!

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

ok... what compression would you run?? dome or flat top?on 383 or 406? thanks in advance.... caveman :? :? :?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    id run a dome with around 13-14:1 if it just gonna be a race car id run some afr heads as well