I just can't afford to get it DONE

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
bemason
SHOW GUEST

Default I just can't afford to get it DONE

Most all of you Guys & Gals have either owned or wanted to own a Hotrod . I am 60 and been fortunate to own several over the last 45 years . I gave all up starting around 1978 . I had 3 children by then and priorities changed . I gave everything I had to those 3 kids and by 1984 we had 5 children . We raised our kids with only my income as we wanted my wife to raise them . I cannot count the hours of overtime and side jobs I did and I would do it all again . I left behind an obsession that as you know never leaves your blood . Finally in 2005 I bout a 1965 Belair post car . I have put hours of work on this car , including frame off , built the 489 with T400 and hours and hours of straightening the Texas body . I became disabled in 2004 and our finances are very tight these days . My Belair has set in my basement garage for over 2 years now waiting for finishing touches . Seat covers , door panels , carpet , windshield and exhaust the main things left to do . For over 2 years I have again turned my priorities . only this time medicines for my wife and I , 11 Grandkids , still have a mortgage and lots of other things to pay and I just cannot save the money to finish . But I will not sell untill I have taken it on a maiden voyage and cruise for some time in it or I die . Do any of you know what it is like to go thru this
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: I just can't afford to get it DONE

Originally Posted by bemason
Most all of you Guys & Gals have either owned or wanted to own a Hotrod . I am 60 and been fortunate to own several over the last 45 years . I gave all up starting around 1978 . I had 3 children by then and priorities changed . I gave everything I had to those 3 kids and by 1984 we had 5 children . We raised our kids with only my income as we wanted my wife to raise them . I cannot count the hours of overtime and side jobs I did and I would do it all again . I left behind an obsession that as you know never leaves your blood . Finally in 2005 I bout a 1965 Belair post car . I have put hours of work on this car , including frame off , built the 489 with T400 and hours and hours of straightening the Texas body . I became disabled in 2004 and our finances are very tight these days . My Belair has set in my basement garage for over 2 years now waiting for finishing touches . Seat covers , door panels , carpet , windshield and exhaust the main things left to do . For over 2 years I have again turned my priorities . only this time medicines for my wife and I , 11 Grandkids , still have a mortgage and lots of other things to pay and I just cannot save the money to finish . But I will not sell untill I have taken it on a maiden voyage and cruise for some time in it or I die . Do any of you know what it is like to go thru this

i think we all been there a time or two! this last time i got rid of the wife and kept the car.... i now know i made the right choice.... :wink:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

As they say " Life happens" and that means putting our automotive related passions on the back burner. What with the present BS in DC there is a super large number of gearheads that have done just that, put 'em on the back burner. It is THE MOST frustrating thing to experience.....
Keep your dream alive ! It can get you through some low times.....
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

IVE BEEN THER MANY TIMES IN MY LIFE. but i do have a bad habit of over building. anyway ive learned a few things in my yrs. and one of them is not to sell my ride unless its a chiose of eating or having the car. and i can go without food for a long time. just myn wife cant or wont.i sold a 55 chevy that i had for yrs and yrs. been gone for over 25yrs and i still mourne that cars going. not again. never.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I only had one I never finished. 79 Z28 that I had tore down, powdercoated the front subframe, and suspension components. Installed a disc brake rear end and was almost ready for paint when we bought a new house. It got shoved in the corner and forgotten. I finally sold it to a guy that was gonna make it a father son project. Never saw it again. Been through about 9 cars I did finish since then.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...