Today's USA Today Newspaper

Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default Today's USA Today Newspaper

I don't think so: :shock:

"Shelby unveils 950-horsepower Mustang"

"The car’s 5.4-liter V-8 will be stripped down to the basic block, which is machined to handle new pistons, rods and crankshaft. The Shelby 1000 also gets a supercharger.

The new components are necessary for lightness and strength to handle all that raw horsepower. There are larger diameter fuel lines, an aluminum crankshaft and extra strengthening in the car’s frame to help it handle the extra stress."
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

The Story:

Quote:
Shelby American To Unveil 950 and 1,100 HP Mustangs at 2012 New York Auto Show
By Matt Stone, Correspondent | Published Mar 27, 2012

Just the Facts:
The Shelby 1000 is the most powerful Shelby Mustang ever, and comes 50 years after the original Cobra launch at the New York auto show.
The first of two Shelby 1000 models is a "street" version, rated at 950 horsepower.

The second powerful new Shelby is called the 1000 S/C, and is built primarily as a track car.

NEW YORK — By now you know that the 2013 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 will deliver 650 horsepower courtesy of a specially designed and purpose-built 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine. That's right, 650 horses with a top speed of 200 mph, right off the showroom floor and backed by a Ford factory warranty.

But that's not enough for 89-year-old Carroll Shelby. During the last year or two, he talked nonstop about his "1,000-hp Mustang."

"I know we can do it, and we're close," Shelby said. "I want this to be the fastest car we've ever built, and it's got to be street legal and idle like a Lincoln."

The development work and testing are done, and the result is the Shelby 1000. In fact there are two Shelby 1000 models. The first is the "street" version, cranking out 950 hp and smog-legal in all 50 states. Lest you think that the big number is only the result of cranking the boost up on a 750-hp GT500 SuperSnake — no. The factory 5.4-liter engine is stripped to the block and given some serious machine work in anticipation of a new crank, rods and pistons. The heads also get a flow job, and the whole deal is topped by a new supercharger. The other powerful new Shelby is called the 1000 S/C, and it's built primarily as a track car. The much-warmed-over 5.4-liter four-cam V8 in this one is good for 1,100 horses.

Some Shelby American-built or modified Mustangs have been criticized for wearing too many different badges. Not so for the 1000. The front fascia gets a makeover, and the wheelwells are stuffed with forged alloy Shelby 1000 20-inch wheels exclusive to this model, plus massive brakes capable of corralling the big motor. The Shelby identification is present of course, but it's relatively subtle. The car looks the part, no doubt, but remains classy.

Naturally the fuel and exhaust systems get a major makeover, as do the suspension and interior. Ancillary gauges are mounted in a unique instrument cluster on the driver side A-pillar.

The post-title street package for the Shelby 1000 starts at $149,995 and the track S/C version starts at $154,995, not including the base GT500. A completed Shelby 1000 is expected to be approximately $200,000. Unquotre

The URL: http://www.insideline.com/ford/shelb...auto-show.html

The Comment: If this is anything like the "Street Legal" Big Block Cobra, it might be legal, but hardly docile or "Safe" if you ever drove one . . They were neat cars, and when you drove one, it made you look like you had more balls than a 48 lane Bowling Alley, but hammer it in Low, Power shift into Second and try to figger out where the hell you just ended up (or landed). If you had no idea of what a "Do-Nut" was, you just learned!

And the 500 HP Shelby Mustang ain't that much to bark about. Seen a couple ass end into the wall just past the 60' lights . . lotsa power, just no go straight. If you have to "Drive" a Drag Car, you need to fix it. Fast! If you come out of a corner and get on it, when the rear end passes you, hmmmm, back to the drawing board . . .

Believe it or don't, there is such thing as too much horsepower!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I was trying to point out they said it had an aluminum crankshaft
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I was trying to point out they said it had an aluminum crankshaft
alum crank...... lmao :P
Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry, blew it off . . assumed it was a typo and they meant "Driveshaft" . . which they did . . .
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Well I was thinking about getting one up till this point.

The post-title street package for the Shelby 1000 starts at $149,995

I'm out UNLESS I WIN THAT 500 MILLION FRIDAY NIGHT.
BTW if I do we're going to have one heck of a RJ reunion and buying spree!!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Should I go get the 'BUS' warmed up ?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

DD I sure hope so! lol